• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needed Tips/Advice in Bonding

Nina_Sunset

Young Bun
I have a holland lop rabbit named Milly and I plan on getting her spayed at the end of July. I also planed on getting her a bunny friend so she's not lonely when I'm gone for long hours of the day considering she hates my dog. If you read my other post "Rabbit Attack 2 Problems" http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456353-Rabbit-Attacks-2-Problems she's a bit agressive, I'm hoping the spaying will slowly decrease the aggression over time.

I was thinking of getting a male rabbit (he will be about 7 weeks old when I get him and Milly will be about 8 or 9 months). Should I get him before/after she is spayed? Or do I need to stick with same gender bonding? Will bonding a young male with an older female be easy? Or will bonding a young female with an older female be easy?

I'm new to this bonding thing, so lots of advice and tips would be appreciated, thank you.

Is your rabbit scared of your dog? This could be making her aggressive (fear/aggression). I would get her spayed first before getting another bunny. A male rabbit would be the best and maybe if you are near to a Rescue they might have a young neutered buck which they would help you with the bonding. Otherwise if you get a baby you will have another wait until he is old enough to be neutered. Then, when he is over his operation You would need a neutral area in which to introduce them if you decide to do the bonding yourself. Also, have you enough space for 2 rabbits? You can't keep 2 in an indoor cage as they are too small and have no shelter/place for a rabbit to be quiet, unlike a hutch.

Is your rabbit scared of your dog? This could be making her aggressive (fear/aggression). I would get her spayed first before getting another bunny. A male rabbit would be the best and maybe if you are near to a Rescue they might have a young neutered buck which they would help you with the bonding. Otherwise if you get a baby you will have another wait until he is old enough to be neutered. Then, when he is over his operation You would need a neutral area in which to introduce them if you decide to do the bonding yourself. Also, have you enough space for 2 rabbits? You can't keep 2 in an indoor cage as they are too small and have no shelter/place for a rabbit to be quiet, unlike a hutch.

Just to add to tonibun...

Can you afford another rabbit long term? In your other post I noticed a lot of you saying you couldn't do something because you couldn't afford it right now. Could you afford another rabbit if one gets ill and needs surgery urgently?

What if the bond doesn't work, do you have space for two rabbits to live apart from each other, and apart from your dog who may harass/scare them?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I really don't think Milly is at all scared of my dog. When my dog is on my bed and her back is to Milly, Milly would sniff and jump on to her stomach/back, sit there for a few seconds before hoping off. She only shows agression when my dog is sniffing her or if my dog's head is laying down next to Milly. She only, usually, claws at the head.

Yes, I can afford another rabbit long term, I just couldn't afford the play pen because they are so expensive, but I found a few large ones on ebay for 28$. I'll ask my parents for that or at least to help me out with it. And if the bond doesn't work, I will have a two story cage. The top story cut off from the bottom, but if the bond does work, then the cages will be joined together. With the help of my parents for the surgery, if it's not too expensive (spay/nuter) than yes. And the illnesses I can afford the medication as it'll be 15-20$. I remember Milly had GI Stasis a couple months ago, and at the time my mom bought the medicine for me because I had no money as I just bought her cage, fleece blankets, food, hay, litter box stuff, and toys. She had it only a week and recovered quickly, that was the good thing.

Her food is a 50lb bag and I know that'll last for over a year and I by her hay every 4 or 5 months because she doesn't go through it so fast. Also, her litter is a dollar for 5lbs and her litter bedding is about 12 or 10$ every 4-5 months. So a rabbit, to me, isn't that expensive just as long as they are in good health.

You need to remember. Rabbits need a 2ft × 6ft hutch with access at all hours to a 6ft × 8ft run.
If the bond doesn't work, both rabbits need that space. One can't be shut in the top half of the hutch with no run.

I'll give them two different spaces to run around in. Milly is good in the front room without a pen just as long as everything is clean and swept. The male can have the pen.

Would you parents let you keep her in the front room? They need that space 24/7 - not just a few hours a day.

Just as long as I keep her cage and litter box clean, yes, but I'll have to talk to them about it just in case

Sounds like a good plan. Keep them on board - it makes life easier. They may even be willing to help with the spay cost if it means she'll have a friend to play with.

So, getting a nutered male would be easier to bond with an older spayed female if all goes to plan?
Does the male have to be fixed when I get him even if Milly is fixed at the time?

So, getting a nutered male would be easier to bond with an older spayed female if all goes to plan?
Does the male have to be fixed when I get him even if Milly is fixed at the time?
All fixed definitely . A resuce centre would be easiest, as they are normally already fixed and sometimes help with the bonding.
Age doesn't make much difference but a similar age means they've got a lifetime together.

Back