• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking rabbits on narrowboat holiday?

Andie

Young Bun
Hi there. We are going to hire a narrowboat for our summer holiday and I have this slightly bonkers idea that we might take our rabbits with us. I'm not sure if that is a stupid idea or not... Has anyone tried something like that? Would the rabbits be scared you think? I have this idea that they could quite happily run around on the boat since it's basically bunny proof by design, and would give them a nice long run. We would just put a board on either end to stop them getting out. I thought it might be nicer for them to have company rather than to have someone come to our house once a day to feed them while we're away. But obviously I wouldn't want them to be scared either... Anyone has any thoughts on this please? Am I mad? :)
Thanks,
Andie

I've a feeling the company you hire from might have an objection to free range bunnies with teeth :lol: The other issue is they are likely to mark in a new territory you might also have to dodge poops.

Maybe have a look at boarding rather than home visits, that way they have more people contact?

Hi there. We are going to hire a narrowboat for our summer holiday and I have this slightly bonkers idea that we might take our rabbits with us. I'm not sure if that is a stupid idea or not... Has anyone tried something like that? Would the rabbits be scared you think? I have this idea that they could quite happily run around on the boat since it's basically bunny proof by design, and would give them a nice long run. We would just put a board on either end to stop them getting out. I thought it might be nicer for them to have company rather than to have someone come to our house once a day to feed them while we're away. But obviously I wouldn't want them to be scared either... Anyone has any thoughts on this please? Am I mad? :)
Thanks,
Andie

I think it's a great idea - I have friends who have a narrowboat, and take their bunnies with them, always :D

Thanks for all your answers! The hire company says that up to two pets are free, they were probably thinking of dogs but didn't specify. :)

I couldn't find any boarding around here, other than private people who keep them in their garden, but mine are indoor rabbits so I'm not sure they would like that...

I did wonder if the rabbits were likely to pee everywhere on the boat to mark their territory but on the other hand they didn't do that at home either when let into new rooms, so I was hoping maybe not. At home they are 'potty trained', ie they only go in their litter trays.

That's very useful to hear that there are people taking their bunnies on narrowboats, so it sounds like it is actually possible without freaking them out. :) I don't know if we would regret it, do you think they are going to be very noisy at night? In my imagination it will be nice having them hop around...

My main worry would be that it would scare them too much though, ie the engine noise, being in a different environment, and maybe the boat movement although it doesn't move much on a canal...

Thanks!
Andie

I think the idea is lovely but there just isn't enough room for rabbits running around unless everyone puts the rabbits' welfare first, ie making sure you don't tread on them etc etc. It's difficult enough having rabbits chargng around the garden, I am always careful. I think having to care for such small pets free range would detract from an enjoyable relaxing holiday. Dogs on narrowboats are different because they can sit in the cockpit. I suppose it also depends on how old you all are.

Have you ever done a narrow boat holiday? Which canals are you planning on travelling?

The movement is a fair amount when you're moored up at night and another boat goes past at a stupid speed.

I'd think about locks too, the sound/movement of them might be upsetting if you have a lot to do (I.e. if you're going into Bath) and you would probably want to go and explore the towns you stop in. Would you be happy leaving your buns unsupervised in an area you don't know?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It can get VERY hot in cabins on a sunny day, also you may be passing through areas with VHD and other infectious problems. Just a thought.

Hi, my bunnies (house rabbits) come boating with us regularly. We use baby gates, adapted, at the front and rear of the cabin and they are often found sitting on the front step watching the river go by. As long as you tie up properly at night the boat movement doesn't bother them. In our experience, as long as the boat is well insulated, you could check with the hire boat company , it cooler than most houses in a heatwave.

I've a feeling the company you hire from might have an objection to free range bunnies with teeth :lol: The other issue is they are likely to mark in a new territory you might also have to dodge poops.

Maybe have a look at boarding rather than home visits, that way they have more people contact?

I agree. Unless you have the most incredibly laid back Rabbits who are very used to travel and to constantly changing environments I think it'd be a recipe for disaster. It is not something I would ever do. Rabbits are, well, Rabbits. They need consistency in both their environment and their routine. To them a canal boat holiday could be a terrifying experience. The least of your worries would be their 'marking of territory'. I'd be far more concerned about stress induced gut stasis and no access to a Rabbit savvy Vet !

Thanks for all your answers! The hire company says that up to two pets are free, they were probably thinking of dogs but didn't specify. :)

I couldn't find any boarding around here, other than private people who keep them in their garden, but mine are indoor rabbits so I'm not sure they would like that...

I did wonder if the rabbits were likely to pee everywhere on the boat to mark their territory but on the other hand they didn't do that at home either when let into new rooms, so I was hoping maybe not. At home they are 'potty trained', ie they only go in their litter trays.

That's very useful to hear that there are people taking their bunnies on narrowboats, so it sounds like it is actually possible without freaking them out. :) I don't know if we would regret it, do you think they are going to be very noisy at night? In my imagination it will be nice having them hop around...

My main worry would be that it would scare them too much though, ie the engine noise, being in a different environment, and maybe the boat movement although it doesn't move much on a canal...

Thanks!
Andie

I've never had rabbits *ever* marking their territory when I've taken them on holidays. Probably because not many rabbits go away with their owners, so no rabbity smells around to mark?

Yes they may keep you awake at night :lol:

I think only you can assess how chilled your rabbits are to travel, and how the benefits and downsides of leaving them behind weigh up.

Good luck and have a lovely time whatever you choose!

We've been on three narrowboat holidays before. I don't think there is much wave movement, especially on a canal, but of course rabbits might see it differently. :) We also didn't find it very warm on there even in summer. It depends on what this summer will be like of course but I would worry about when leaving them at home too...

One of the rabbits is really relaxed, he doesn't even look up when I switch on the hoover right next to him for instance. The other one is more easily scared but is really curious, and loves to explore anything new, so might actually like it.

It would be 4 of us travelling, 2 adults, 2 teenagers. I was thinking we could put the rabbit's usual 'house' into one of the bathrooms so they could have their peace there during the day when they sleep, and then come out morning and afternoon/evening when they can run around, we'd obviously have to be very careful.

I'm still not sure what's best. It sounds nice and they would have more company plus obviously I could keep an eye out for any problems, but of course that's no good if it's actually going to scare them and make them ill... Maybe we could take them for a day and if they look scared take them back home after all (since we're leaving from close to home), but of course then they would have been scared already which is not good either. I just don't know, maybe it's too risky, on the other hand if it works out then that would be great for future holidays too...

It's going to depend a lot on your rabbits. Thousands of rabbits go off to holiday boarding services for holidays which means a new space and lots of rabbit smells. I'm not sure that's going to be much difference stress wise to holiday boarding on a boat. On the other hand, both holiday boarding and a boat is more stressful than staying at home.

It would be other things like are the boat company ok with it, can you bunny proof the boat, can you keep them safely contained (don't assume a rabbit wouldn't jump off), and the heat etc. I guess it's a fancy floating shed so you just have to decide if it's suitable for adaptation. I've not holidayed on a boat so you'd know better than me.

I remember speaking to someone ages ago that lived on a canal boat with a house rabbit :)

That's true that boarding would probably be just as stressful if not more since it would be more rabbit smells and strangers... The boat can certainly be easily made bunny proof, it's all built in furniture with no gaps etc (it's a bit like a large motorhome), and we can put a fence at the ends, I would definitely not assume that they wouldn't jump out. :)

I think we'll see what the weather will be like, ie whether it's not too hot, who I find to look after them at home alternatively, whether the boat company include rabbits when they say pets allowed, and maybe we can do some kind of trial to see how they react...

That's true that boarding would probably be just as stressful if not more since it would be more rabbit smells and strangers... The boat can certainly be easily made bunny proof, it's all built in furniture with no gaps etc (it's a bit like a large motorhome), and we can put a fence at the ends, I would definitely not assume that they wouldn't jump out. :)

I think we'll see what the weather will be like, ie whether it's not too hot, who I find to look after them at home alternatively, whether the boat company include rabbits when they say pets allowed, and maybe we can do some kind of trial to see how they react...

A trial would be an excellent idea! I hope they love it and you can all be together :D

I couldn't quite decide, its a lovely idea. Assuming the bunny & human personalities suited the experience. I wouldn't take mine cos I think Mouse would hate it, Boo would love it, Joey who knows. I'm not familiar with narrow boats but OH is so I asked his opinion, he reckoned it could work

I was watching that Canal Journeys programme with that acting couple and they visited a canal-boat library sort of place with a resident houseboat-bunny :) It was a 40' job and had the run of the place. Sometimes there's more room on a boat than in a flat!

If I were doing it I think they would both love it until Lopsy tried to swim (let's just say he 'likes water' and he's got an 'adventurous streak') :roll: A trial would be best :D If it goes well, maybe I can convince my OH to get the bunnies their own boat (we back on to a canal where we can moor a boat for a fee) :lol:

My in laws have their own narrow boat...problem is invitations are to join them & not go alone & don't seem to include their grandchildren (bunnies)

My in laws have their own narrow boat...problem is invitations are to join them & not go alone & don't seem to include their grandchildren (bunnies)

:lol:

How mean of them!

I would definitely take the buns with me, but then they come with me almost anywhere anyway :D

:lol:

How mean of them!

I would definitely take the buns with me, but then they come with me almost anywhere anyway :D
My in-laws-to-be (well, Matt's Mum) has always said we can take the rabbits with us when we visit: I'm not sure the rabbits would be happy about the 2.5hr journey! :lol: My parents would also be happy to host, but the rabbits aren't so keen on the travel! Maybe we SHOULD get a boat for them... :lol:

Back