• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

in a pickle

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi all I have a bonded pair....a very small nethie and a large (not giant) and I also have a single lop living next door to them as the nethie and lop don't get on(both males) now the nethie is elderly now and quite frail and his partner I am noticing has started knocking him over...this is not on purpose she is just waking past him or when she moves as he does tend to lean on her....but l have also noticed she is not going out of the cage and getting exercise because he doesn't now and she has started sitting outside the cage of my single lop paying him attention....it's as if she is calling for him to play as her friend won't......I have tried bonding all 3 but that was a disaster ....just wondered what to do....would it be so wrong to move the elderly nethie on his own and bond the other 2 and what should I do bout her knocking him over many thanks for reading this

Omg I completely feel your frustration. I have 3 holland lop bunnies, two 8month adults a female and male, and one 5 1/2 month male adult. They all have been spayed and neutered, but cannot not seem to live as 3 together. Only the first two adults are live together since they are a bonded pair. I was informed by the breeder of the first two, that taking them on a car ride together and petting them, can help them bond, since they both will be frightened and would want to be near each other. I haven't had a chance to do this, but just thought I'd pass the information along. She told me it has helped her a lot with her bunnies. I am new to this website by the way :)

I'd start by having your nethie checked by a vet to find the cause of his problems and help treat them. It's likely he's suffering with arthritis and would benefit from daily pain relief.

I wouldn't split the pair. A sick rabbit often copes better with treatment etc when they have their partner with them.
You may not be able to introduce the single male to the pair as the one of the pair is vulnerable and feels he has to attack to protect himself.

Please do not stress bond as jrodivasupreme has advised. A sick bunny will struggle to cope with the stress and could make his problems much worse.
Stress bonding is always a last resort in normal bonding situations, I only ever attempt it after around 3 months of bonding. Stress bonding in normal situations can go either way, it can work or it can cause the rabbits to associate each other with bad things and cause them to fight and cause injury to each other.

Please can you give some further information on the previous bonding attempt.
Where did the bond take place?
What behaviour was noticed?
Was there any serious injury to either rabbit?
How long did the session last for?
Did you attempt it more than once?
Are all of the rabbits neutered?
What are their ages?

Without further information, and going by what you havw told us, personally, I'd find the lop his own partner to bond with, and if your nethie should pass I'd then bond your single female into the new pair.

Eta: just seen the date on the first post - hope you found a solution to your situation.
Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back