• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing the Delightful Miss Aurora

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Aurora came home with me on Monday, and is now in what is at least her fourth home. She's previously lived in a care home and with my father. On occasion, I'd talked to him and his wife about my taking Rory on, and over the weekend, they finally acquiesed and allowed me to bring her on the 2.5 hour journey to her new home. :love:

She travelled really well, considering it is a fair journey, was mostly quiet throughout all of it. But I got her eating once she got home, which is good. She's settling into her new home pretty well and seems quite fond of the private area in her new enclosure. I can't really blame her for being shy. She's certainly not used to cats and they have been interested in her! Especially Brannigan. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one. Thankfully, when she approached him once, Bran bolted, so I think she'll be ok.

Rory must be quite a tough girl. She's definitely in double figures, but my stepmum doesn't know her precise age just yet. I've asked her to let me know when she does have a better idea because I do want as accurate figures for the vet as possible.

Her favourite things to eat appear to be plantain and dandelion leaves. The best is dandelion flowers though. Even if she is absolutely stuffed, she can apparently always find space for another dandelion flower! However, Aurora isn't all that keen on hay. I'll just have to keep offering it to her though. Especially when I get some more hay from the vet's as a different hay can make all the difference.

She can be a bit norty too - she has cheeky bright eyes which says it all. She also apparently likes peeing and pooping in her water bowls. Like I said, norty. She's also a bit digging obsessed - will have to make sure her enclosures are always super secure to ensure she doesn't escape. Of course, I don't want to detract from her obviously natural behaviour.

Also, I'm completely biased, but I think she's absolutely beautiful!

I suppose that's enough waffling for now, I guess I better introduce her with pictures:

P1060554_zpsz8lm4veq.jpg

P1060555_zpsrckrshxm.jpg

P1060558_zpswk65kcor.jpg

P1060559_zpso6yfeqlj.jpg

Oh! Did I not mention that she's Not a Bunny? :p

Is she a Hermans but with a slightly unusual colouring?

Whatever, she's lovely. :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurora came home with me on Monday, and is now in what is at least her fourth home. She's previously lived in a care home and with my father. On occasion, I'd talked to him and his wife about my taking Rory on, and over the weekend, they finally acquiesed and allowed me to bring her on the 2.5 hour journey to her new home. :love:

She travelled really well, considering it is a fair journey, was mostly quiet throughout all of it. But I got her eating once she got home, which is good. She's settling into her new home pretty well and seems quite fond of the private area in her new enclosure. I can't really blame her for being shy. She's certainly not used to cats and they have been interested in her! Especially Brannigan. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one. Thankfully, when she approached him once, Bran bolted, so I think she'll be ok.

Rory must be quite a tough girl. She's definitely in double figures, but my stepmum doesn't know her precise age just yet. I've asked her to let me know when she does have a better idea because I do want as accurate figures for the vet as possible.

Her favourite things to eat appear to be plantain and dandelion leaves. The best is dandelion flowers though. Even if she is absolutely stuffed, she can apparently always find space for another dandelion flower! However, Aurora isn't all that keen on hay. I'll just have to keep offering it to her though. Especially when I get some more hay from the vet's as a different hay can make all the difference.

She can be a bit norty too - she has cheeky bright eyes which says it all. She also apparently likes peeing and pooping in her water bowls. Like I said, norty. She's also a bit digging obsessed - will have to make sure her enclosures are always super secure to ensure she doesn't escape. Of course, I don't want to detract from her obviously natural behaviour.

Also, I'm completely biased, but I think she's absolutely beautiful!

I suppose that's enough waffling for now, I guess I better introduce her with pictures:

P1060554_zpsz8lm4veq.jpg

P1060555_zpsrckrshxm.jpg

P1060558_zpswk65kcor.jpg

P1060559_zpso6yfeqlj.jpg

Oh! Did I not mention that she's Not a Bunny? :p

d3f0405dfcb9093b571d2d5d4e832a2d.jpg

Toby wants to say hello #InternetDatingForTortoises

She's very beautiful. I'm glad she has such a loving home. Tortoises can be so cute! That beak looks a weeny bit long though if you don't mind me saying. When you pop her to the vets you might want to ask them to cut it? X

She's very beautiful. I'm glad she has such a loving home. Tortoises can be so cute! That beak looks a weeny bit long though if you don't mind me saying. When you pop her to the vets you might want to ask them to cut it? X

Thank you for the advice. I did wonder but I don't know much about tortoises. As soon as I track down a decent exotics vet in the area, I will make sure she has a full MOT, and that will include a beak trim, I'm sure.

(My local vets is very good with buns but I don't know their track record with torts.)

d3f0405dfcb9093b571d2d5d4e832a2d.jpg

Toby wants to say hello #InternetDatingForTortoises

Oooh. He's lovely. I don't want to put words into Aurora's mouth, but I'm sure she would like to meet... but then she is a tart - always hisses at me but enjoys strokes and attention from the OH. She LOVES men...!

Thank you for the advice. I did wonder but I don't know much about tortoises. As soon as I track down a decent exotics vet in the area, I will make sure she has a full MOT, and that will include a beak trim, I'm sure.

(My local vets is very good with buns but I don't know their track record with torts.)

Finding a tortoise savvy vet is a nightmare!! The nails are cut like a bunny's. They have a quick in them as well. The beak should fall just below the mouth - i give Toby some leaves with soil in on occasion and that normally sorts it xx

Oooh. He's lovely. I don't want to put words into Aurora's mouth, but I'm sure she would like to meet... but then she is a tart - always hisses at me but enjoys strokes and attention from the OH. She LOVES men...!

Hahahaha Awwww how cuuuute. Toby headbuts my dad and goes to my mum for attention [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have to say, I thought that too. :)

Where abouts are you? My boys don't live with me but I do have a tortoise savvy vet near where they do reside!!

Ps. They want in on the dating site too.... :lol:

I have to say, I thought that too. :)

Where abouts are you? My boys don't live with me but I do have a tortoise savvy vet near where they do reside!!

Ps. They want in on the dating site too.... :lol:

I'm in mid-Norfolk. :)

Tortoise Internet Dating is now a thing. ;)

Back