• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Return of a tooth

Bunnyface

Young Bun
Hi im after a bit of advice.

When I got my rabbit, Japser he'd had his front teeth removed. He has had a bit of an eye problem for a while (eye watering every now and again) He got nutered and the vet said he teeth wouldn't grow back, anywho, his eye (left eye) seems to be a watery more than normal the past few days. He has been the vet about it a few times they said it could be a blocked tear duckt and the wasn't anything to worry about. I was not concerned as his eye waters a very small amount every now and again. I was looking at his left eye as it is quite red and i noticed his nose was a bit wet. I had a look and on the too right side the looks like a tooth is growning back. He has a peg tooth, it has been checked by the vet and said the was no problem. I dont think his eye has anything to do with his teeth as this has been going on for a while. He had his teeth out before i got him, that was about 3 months ago. I will be taking him the vets to get it checked out, he is eating normal, drinking normal and acting normal. Does anyone have a picture of what a tooth growing back looks like. Just so I can compare it please. Also any advice? If his tooth did grow back would he need it out, or does it depend on how it grows?

Thank you. [emoji4]

Hi im after a bit of advice.

When I got my rabbit, Japser he'd had his front teeth removed. He has had a bit of an eye problem for a while (eye watering every now and again) He got nutered and the vet said he teeth wouldn't grow back, anywho, his eye (left eye) seems to be a watery more than normal the past few days. He has been the vet about it a few times they said it could be a blocked tear duckt and the wasn't anything to worry about. I was not concerned as his eye waters a very small amount every now and again. I was looking at his left eye as it is quite red and i noticed his nose was a bit wet. I had a look and on the too right side the looks like a tooth is growning back. He has a peg tooth, it has been checked by the vet and said the was no problem. I dont think his eye has anything to do with his teeth as this has been going on for a while. He had his teeth out before i got him, that was about 3 months ago. I will be taking him the vets to get it checked out, he is eating normal, drinking normal and acting normal. Does anyone have a picture of what a tooth growing back looks like. Just so I can compare it please. Also any advice? If his tooth did grow back would he need it out, or does it depend on how it grows?

Thank you. [emoji4]

If the tooth was an incisor, and not a peg tooth, then yes it would need to come out.

Sometimes elongated tooth roots can cause damage and scarring to the tear duct, so even if the teeth come out, the scarring (and therefore reduced drainage) to the tear duct will still be there.

The vet should be able to remove the incisor if it's grown again.

This exact thing happened to my Herbie. He had his incisors removed at the rescue as he had been abandoned and his teeth overgrew into his nose!!! I adopted him and after about 6 months I noticed a huge tusk like incisor and a couple of peg teeth. I put him in to get the incisor and peg teeth removed. This time the incisor stayed away, but he still has two peg teeth that grow back and he gets those burred every few months.

Unfortunately the vets don't always manage to kill all of the tooth during extraction and the teeth can grow back :(. But Yes, the tooth will need taken out, as it would be too much to burr an incisor every few months.

Back