• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

janhm69

Young Bun
My buns have always had little round hard patches on the backs of their heels, I think from the days before I got them when they were shut in a hutch all the time. They are rexes, which I know are prone to sore hocks. I have had no trouble with this these past 6 years with them and they are kept on a surface of what I always thought were fairly soft cotton mats. This weekend however, I saw a couple of spots of blood and tracked this down to one of these hard round patches having opened up. Have been to the vet, who said that it wasn't a bad case but has given me Metacam and an antibiotic (Baytril?) Obviously, I don't exactly know what caused the skin to be grazed but I am wondering if I could put some softer mats down. I see on YouTube that people use memory foam under fleece and the like which looks much softer on the foot but one of my bunnies is a chewer! I am a bit paranoid that she will end up with bits of fluffy fleece in the guts!

Has anyone got any suggestions for a softer, chew-proof flooring that I could perhaps put over the existing mats to cushion them a bit? Be grateful for any replies!

I use foam mats & vetbed. Both of my rabbits chew and I've had to replace their vetbed numerous times over the years :roll: Another option is to use straw but that can be messy (which is why I don't use it)

Hi there

Thank you so much for the reply. I have used the vet bed stuff before but just in pet carriers, not when the buns are unattended! Your bunnies in the photos look super contented by the way! Maybe I should look at the vet bed again then. The stuff I've got for their carriers is like 'teddy fur' so I was a bit worried the fluff would end up in the tummy! I put it inside a pillow case inside the carriers just in case!

:wave:

You're welcome. Its worth trying it out at least, fingers crossed your bunny will leave it alone and their hocks will benefit from the extra padding :)

I use vet bed too. Fortunately, it wasn't chewed!! It did work to clear up Hector's feet. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, I think I will have a look again then and see if I can get some vet bed to cover their mats. I could at least get some for where they mostly sit! Thanks again for the replies, it's really helpful to know what others use for indoor bun accommodation!

Back