• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice regarding two new Lionhead rabbits - 9 week old

jackathy

New Kit
Hello,

I have just got two Lionhead Rabbits, both 9 week old today who came from the same litter.

I’ve brought them home yesterday and they are already cooing well with litter training and eating/drinking.

We thought they were both boys but last night, due to what I first thought was play fighting, I seem to think they are of a different gender.

Should I be separating them both until I can get them sexed and neutered/spayed and at what age should I be doing this?

They both slept next to eachother last night and always seem to walk around in pairs so would it be ideal to keep the pens close if separated?

I want to do what’s best for them and to avoid any unwanted litters, just think they’re cuteness is trying to stop me see straight in regards to what’s best for them!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jack

Hello and welcome :)

Was it mounting/humping behaviour that you saw? If so, it doesn't mean that they are different sexes just that they are establishing dominance.

At 9 weeks they are fine to stay together despite their sex, but I would get a vets appointment early this week if possible to enable their genders to be established.

Boys can be neutered at 16 weeks, girls at 6 months.

Thanks Lily!

No doubt I'll be posting on here a lot more, will be introducing myself tonight!

I've made a vets appointment for Wednesday to sex them, I'm hoping their two of the same as they get along so well and would hate to have to break them apart!

Either way they'll be getting neutered/spayed for my flat's sake.

Cheers,
Jack

Thanks Lily!

No doubt I'll be posting on here a lot more, will be introducing myself tonight!

I've made a vets appointment for Wednesday to sex them, I'm hoping their two of the same as they get along so well and would hate to have to break them apart!

Either way they'll be getting neutered/spayed for my flat's sake.

Cheers,
Jack

That's great :)

Let us know how you get on x

Hi, I have three lionhead girls. They are from the same litter and living happily together after almost a year. We got them when they were 10 weeks.

We had a scary moment months ago when one of the rabbits appeared to be making a fur nest and panicked that maybe they weren't all girls, as we had taken the sellers word for it. Every time I went to check them I expected to find babies! Luckily, as above, the vet confirmed they were all girls x

Our female rabbit humps our boy despite the fact they are both neutered :lol: so it can just be a dominance thing.

Don't worry if they turn out to be one of each though, apart from obviously separating them for a little while until they're both done, as male/female pairings are the most common kind of bonded rabbit pair :)

Hi all, quick update for you all.

Turns out Miles is a Miley, vet said we can keep them together until 16 weeks then we will be getting her done!

We are slowly but surely gaining their trust and bonding with them, they are lovely pets!

Thanks for all your help, will be a regular poster here

Back