• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not cleaning very well

Alicia

Mama Doe
Joey is about 7 years old and he's recently got quite bad at cleaning himself. I don't think he's particularly overweight, we even thought he was underweight a few months ago because you could feel his bones quite easily but now he seems ok weight wise. My friends cat is quite old and has stopped cleaning herself, I wonder if something like this can happen with rabbits or if I should take him to the vets? I clean him off as and when needed but I just wanted to find out if there's a reason for this because as the weathers getting warmer, flystrike is a worry.

Do you mean his poo is sticking to his fur? Have you looked at his diet to see if he is eating too many pellets etc?

Yes that's what I mean, sorry I should have been more clear. They share 1.5 handfuls between 2 rabbits and have lots of grass and they have hay all the time. They also get some veg every morning.

If they have lots of grass and hay I would cut out the veg and monitor him. Maybe you are feeding too many pellets, but I would try cutting out the veg first. He shouldn't be getting a mucky bum really unless he has some teeth problems? Hope you can get to the "bottom" of this problem!

I would second cutting out the veg.

Sometimes as bunnies get older they can develop arthritis which may make it difficult / painful for them to clean themselves down there, but start with the veggies and see what happens. Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Joey is about 7 years old and he's recently got quite bad at cleaning himself. I don't think he's particularly overweight, we even thought he was underweight a few months ago because you could feel his bones quite easily but now he seems ok weight wise. My friends cat is quite old and has stopped cleaning herself, I wonder if something like this can happen with rabbits or if I should take him to the vets? I clean him off as and when needed but I just wanted to find out if there's a reason for this because as the weathers getting warmer, flystrike is a worry.

Although 7 isn't ancient for a rabbit, he could have some mobility/spinal/ arthritis issues which are preventing him from cleaning himself. Has this happened all of a sudden recently, or has it been a gradual thing?

A vet could prescribe Metacam for a rabbit in pain with joint issues, though it won't necessarily address the problem of him cleaning himself. What I do with my elderlies who can't manage, is regularly clip the fur around the 'bits' and around the tail (above the tail too). Also inspect the inside of the back legs for urine scald.

Checking twice daily, especially in warm weather, is essential :)

Back