• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny Addition

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Since loosing Cookie a few weeks ago, I'm starting to feel it may be time to give another little bunny a loving home. There is after all a lovely 7ft, 3ft hutch and 8ft run waiting to be used.
So, my question is when is the best time to get a new addition? I would presume now the weather is better, especially for being outdoors to give them chance to get ready for winter etc.

Any advice, would be great. Also, who's best for bunny insurance?

Sar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you lost Cookie :( We use Petplan for insurance. Haven't needed to claim yet but others on here have had good experiences xx

Hi, and I'm also sorry you lost cookie.

Insurance wise I'm with petplan.. And have literally just claimed for CT scans and numerous tests for my bunny. He is back fine now, but we've just had confirmation petplan have paid the full £850 in less than 5 days so I'm more than happy to recommend them! :)

Bunny wise, I think weather wise now should be fine, and as you say will give them plenty of time to build up a coat for the winter. Obviously it's up to you what bunnies you would like, but there are so many wonderful bunnies in rescues, some old and some young and even already bonded looking for their forever home, maybe have a look at some local ones near you. Good luck for whatever you decide xx

Regarding the insurance company, I very highly recommend PetPlan. Storm broke his leg just over a month ago and they paid out £2000 within a couple of days of me making the claim :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

I will certainly go and look at local rescue centres. I wouldn't dream of buying them from a pet shop, or similar as there are so many in rescue. I admit Cookie, and Foxy were bought from when they were babies but that is only because I wanted a lion head and at the time I couldn't find any locally, apart from going to a breeder.

Would a 7ftx3ft single be big enough for a pair? I presume if I got a smaller breed?

Thank you for your help!

I have PetPlan for Toffee (the cat) but never ever got the bunnies insured.
Foxy is 8 years old, and bounces around like a baby lamb lol!
Cookie was also 8.

x

Sar

I will certainly go and look at local rescue centres. I wouldn't dream of buying them from a pet shop, or similar as there are so many in rescue. I admit Cookie, and Foxy were bought from when they were babies but that is only because I wanted a lion head and at the time I couldn't find any locally, apart from going to a breeder.

Would a 7ftx3ft single be big enough for a pair? I presume if I got a smaller breed?

Thank you for your help!

I have PetPlan for Toffee (the cat) but never ever got the bunnies insured.
Foxy is 8 years old, and bounces around like a baby lamb lol!
Cookie was also 8.

x

Sar

A pair of bunnies need the same amount of space as a single bunny and 7ftx3ft wouldn't be big enough for a single or pair. You need to have a run that is permanently attached in order to provide adequate space.

A pair of bunnies need the same amount of space as a single bunny and 7ftx3ft wouldn't be big enough for a single or pair. You need to have a run that is permanently attached in order to provide adequate space.
I think bunnymummy85 mentioned an 8ft run as well as the hutch in the original post

That's okay, yeah 8ft square run also. Separate as I don't like the idea of connecting runs with tubing incase it comes apart, and we have over friendly cats and no really way of a permanent fixture of the run to the hutch otherwise. Thank you :)

Sar

That's okay, yeah 8ft square run also. Separate as I don't like the idea of connecting runs with tubing incase it comes apart, and we have over friendly cats and no really way of a permanent fixture of the run to the hutch otherwise. Thank you :)

Sar

I have a big tube that I used to connect the hutch to a smaller run before I upgraded and put the hutch inside of a huge run, and I have never ever been worried about them coming apart because it is virtually impossible to pull them apart as the end of the tunnel slots between two pieces of wood, which are then screwed together using 4 long screws and wing nuts. They are super sturdy (so much so that I can sit on it!) and safe and there is pretty much no way anything can pull them apart once they are screwed together properly :)

Back