• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mite questions (fur mites?)

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey :)
Sorry, I realize this must have been asked countless times, but it's my first time dealing with mites.
I've just discovered Maple has mites. I noticed what looked like very small amounts of flaky skin on her last night so was alerted to them then but searched her fur and couldn't find any. However I've just given her another search and yeah, mites. They're mostly on her back and head, I can't see any in her ears so I'm thinking fur mites rather than ear mites?
In herself she's completely normal, no scratching or any signs at all that she's bothered by them. She was curled up on my lap for ages licking me this morning :roll::love:. The only other thing wrong is that her hocks are looking sore again, so think she's going to need treatment for that too, poor girl.
I have also been bitten it seems. I've had loads of spots coming up recently and had been going through everything from bed bug theories to chicken pox trying to figure it out! Now it makes sense and thinking on it they have gotten worse any time I've spent time with Maple.
Anyway without boring you, I'm checking all the others over now but so far no one else seems to have it. Maple lives alone at the moment, though did have a bonding attempt about a week ago with Lunar so I'll give her an especially thorough check in a minute.
I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow morning as I really would like my normal vet to see her rather than someone else, but will all the rabbits need to be checked and/or treated, even if they're not showing any signs of having mites themselves? Will I need to bring them all in or will they be treated anyway as a precaution? What treatment should I expect her to have? I very vaguely remember reading some time ago that rabbits shouldn't be given spot-on treatments, but are they now safe? Are there any treatments that I should be alert to being given that aren't safe? It's not that I don't trust my vet, but I like to double check as it's not always possible to get her and I'm stupidly paranoid about what's being given to the rabbits and whether or not it's actually safe for them :oops:
Obviously I'm going to want to clean everything in her cage (going to do the others as a precaution too) with disinfectant - I usually use Beaphar's Deep Clean disinfectant - will that be strong enough to kill everything? Is there anything else I should know?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure you've all answered this one a thousand times :oops:

Edit: Have actually managed to find something that answers a lot of the questions (http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm) - typical that it would come up after I make a post on here :roll::oops: Sorry, I should have searched more thoroughly before posting :oops:

Last edited:
No worries! I would take bunny to the Vet and they normally start a course of 3 injections of Ivermectin. It should soon clear up. Probably what has caused her to have them is the stress of being bonded with another rabbit, as stress can bring them on. You shouldn't need to treat the others as I believe they all carry them and it's stress or similar which causes them. Also if her hocks are sore this could have got her down a bit, so not helping. I think Advantage is also ok but not sure. The mites don't tend to bite humans so check her coat for any black specks which could be fleas. Rabbits don't tend to suffer with fleas but you might have a cat or a dog which has picked one or 2 up. Hope this is of help :thumb:

As Tonibun said - 3 doses of ivermectin (by injection or spot-on treatment) will sort out the current infestation of mites. However, mites are generally around in hay, etc and don't normally bother rabbits unless there is something else wrong. Often it is the first sign that they are a bit below par, so a vet check up would be a good idea. Ask them to check the teeth (back and front) as well - sometimes they are unable to groom properly, so mites can take hold - although sore hocks could also be a major factor. I would make sure that she is eating / weeing and pooing normally as well, as she may stop eating. A weight check at the vet could be useful as well, so you can tell if she is eating Ok and maintaining her weight. Again, rabbits can stop eating if there is something else wrong, and that can cause other issues which are more urgent - so best get everything checked and treated.

The other rabbits won't need treating for mites if they do not have any obvious signs of infestation - the mites are in the general environment anyway and won't bother them. It's not like treating for fleas.

Thank you both :)
Yes, I'd read that underlying conditions are a contributing factor to mites. I was wondering the same about her hocks. They're not too bad yet, certainly no broken skin but they look red and to me look like they should be treated anyway. She's always been a difficult one for sore hocks, the vetbed has worked really well but I'm guessing she's been on the carpet a bit too much and it hasn't helped her. I think it's just that her fur is naturally thin there, being a rex. Will get that looked at tomorrow as well at any rate.
I check for fleas regularly anyway but have done thorough searches for them over the past few days (the spots I've had looked like bites to me from the start) - no sign of any in the house, on the rabbits or my dog. My guess is they've come in on the hay.
As for eating, with Maple that would be the first thing I'd notice! She's the greediest rabbit I've ever known, and that's saying something! She eats a huge amount of food :roll: That said, she does look a bit underweight to me and that has been concerning me a bit, so was something I was going to bring up with the vet anyway as she's due for her vaccination too (might have to hold off on that until after treatment, though will ask the vet).
Her teeth (the front ones) I check regularly anyway, and they look great. Of course the backs are another matter, so I'll mention that but I'm pretty sure her teeth are good. She grooms herself a lot and she's very active as usual. If there was even the slightest indication she was off her food etc she's have been up the emergency vet hours ago.

Thank you both again :)

Jack's Jane is the expert on sore hocks in rex rabbits. She isn't on here much at the moment, but I'm sure you will find some useful information on previous posts of hers if you do a search. They really shouldn't be allowed to get worse as they can be very serious (eg bone infection) if left, as well as being a very difficult and prolonged condition to treat.

I know, that's why I normally monitor her pretty closely. I'm aware that a bone infection is a danger if the skin is broken. They're not in a bad state or anything, just looking a bit more red than I'd like. We've caught it early, but I want to get it looked at before it has a chance to possibly get worse. It's in a pretty small area. She has fairly thin fur in that area so it can be difficult at times, though she's been good since she's been on the vetbed. I did wonder if it's because she's running around on carpet through the rest of the house, but that's nothing new to her. I'll see if I can dig up some of Jack's Jane's older posts to refresh my memory - I know I've read them before but it was a while ago. I think she helped me before when Maple first started having trouble - I can't remember if it was her or another member that suggested vetbed but it's worked really well and all the rabbits now have it. She's definitely an expert on anything rabbit related lol, she's helped me out so many times. I wish I had a fraction of her knowledge! I'll have a look at some old posts :)

Back