• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cody - teeth question

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I sorta know the answer but will ask it anyways. Those who have been following Codys ear and eye issues know that he has not been himself for about 6 or 7 weeks now. His eye ulcer is now healed and eue pressure down and he is on 0.5ml twice a day and I currently have him on 10mg of tramadol in the morning . I don't have enough for twice a day until they arrive in the post on Tuesday . I put him in the garden this evening and he mostly hid under a bush for about an hour nibbled a bit then came inside . I have given him his greens and he ate some but left quite a bit. I really am starting to think it's his teeth. I have noticed him doing more mouth /lip movements. The vet checked his teeth and said they were fine - obviously just the ones she could see. So is it possible it's the very back teeth she can't see? U would think the metacam an tramadol would be helping more if it was his ear and eye. I think at this stage I might have to go down the xray route to rule out teeth. He spends most of the day in his wee box. Not enjoying the garden like he used to for hours- his record was 6hrs nibble time. I am afraid for the xray but I feel now I have no choice.

Hi mini lop. So I have been monitoring Cody and I stopped the Tramadol and I think he has been brighter the past 2 days and coming out of his wee box more. So I think the tramadol was too sedating but it's only 2 days off it. He ate his food well yesterday also. Cody was on 10mg tramadol once a day and 0.5ml dog metacam twice a day. Vet said she could order in 5mg which I might try. Cody has always been a stiff ish wee bun all his life so maybe there is an element of arthritis though vet said she couldn't feel any major issues. So I don't want to make any rash decisions so will go down the pain relief route for now unless he shows he is really un comfortable He is still drinking and pooping well. Thanks for asking after him .

I sorta know the answer but will ask it anyways. Those who have been following Codys ear and eye issues know that he has not been himself for about 6 or 7 weeks now. His eye ulcer is now healed and eue pressure down and he is on 0.5ml twice a day and I currently have him on 10mg of tramadol in the morning . I don't have enough for twice a day until they arrive in the post on Tuesday . I put him in the garden this evening and he mostly hid under a bush for about an hour nibbled a bit then came inside . I have given him his greens and he ate some but left quite a bit. I really am starting to think it's his teeth. I have noticed him doing more mouth /lip movements. The vet checked his teeth and said they were fine - obviously just the ones she could see. So is it possible it's the very back teeth she can't see? U would think the metacam an tramadol would be helping more if it was his ear and eye. I think at this stage I might have to go down the xray route to rule out teeth. He spends most of the day in his wee box. Not enjoying the garden like he used to for hours- his record was 6hrs nibble time. I am afraid for the xray but I feel now I have no choice.

If your vet cannot do conscious dentals (which to be honest is the safest and quickest way to establish and treat any back teeth issue) then if teeth problems are suspected he ought to have a dental. An X-ray whilst he's under would perhaps reveal any underlying problem, but it seems a good look at and attention to the back teeth is required.

I'm sorry, I know anaesthetic is the last thing you want. I certainly wouldn't put your bunny under just for an X-ray, but if it's the only way to see and deal with the teeth, then I can't see what choice you have Nicky? xx

Back