• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions decisions

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
So since taking Molly back to the rescue we have been waiting for another suitable rabbit to appear. The rescue has some females but they're all much older than Milo and were not sure thats the right choice. we were planning on heading by on sunday. in the meantime Milo has become a desructobunny ruining everything in his path presumably because he is bored.
Yesterday a friend told me that she knows someone with baby rabbits that need homes. I'm popping by to see them today but I'm conflicted. We'd need to get her spayed and do the bond our self, but it would be a lovely baby with no negative experiences lIke Molly that could cause problems. and without a home these babies could end up at a rescue too! What to do?

I think you should do what you feel is best. Baby rabbits soon grow up and you could try bonding them when she is around 4 months old. The only pronblem I can think of is getting a bun of the wrong sex, as you know baby rabbits are not easy to sex and so you would have to make as sure as possible ypu were getting a female. Good luck with whatever you decide, I expect he is missing the company of Molly.

I don't think I would feel too guilty about having one of these rabbits, assuming that it was an unplanned pregnancy and not a breeder.

A few things I would consider though are: whether you would feel confident in sexing the rabbits if you want a female; the character of a baby rabbit is no indication of how it will be once it has matured and has been spayed; it would be quite a while before you could attempt to bond her with Milo, so he would remain by himself for a few more months; whether you would feel confident in bonding and whether, if it didn't work, you would be able to get both Milo and the rabbit a new partner.

Do you have only one rescue closeby that you could use?

I think you should do what you feel is best. Baby rabbits soon grow up and you could try bonding them when she is around 4 months old. The only pronblem I can think of is getting a bun of the wrong sex, as you know baby rabbits are not easy to sex and so you would have to make as sure as possible ypu were getting a female. Good luck with whatever you decide, I expect he is missing the company of Molly.

Yeah, very important point :thumb:

So I met them this morning. They're so lovely far too young for rehousing yet. But I am considering it. How old would she have to be before bonding. Would you recommend keeping them seperate until she was spayed? Or Introduce them xxx

The age depends on your bunny, how friendly he is towards her. At 8 weeks old she is still a baby, but they do mature fairly quickly and there is no reason to wait until she is spayed. So it really is a case of if it seems ok to put them together then try it :thumb:

The age depends on your bunny, how friendly he is towards her. At 8 weeks old she is still a baby, but they do mature fairly quickly and there is no reason to wait until she is spayed. So it really is a case of if it seems ok to put them together then try it :thumb:

Thanks for your advice. We have decided to go ahead with the baby! We are go it to keep them seperate by a pen but in the same room until she is a little older (we've ,made sure the bar's on the pen are narrow enough that she won't get stuck) and now its just a matter ofnwaiting until shes old enouh. I dont feel as guilty as the woman was telling me some of the horror stories of the people who have been to visit (one person wanted to take all 7 rabbits!!!) So i feel like instead know Im giving her a good home!!!

Back