• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Less stressful car trips

Julia25

Alpha Buck
In the summer i have 2 months off holiday, however for 4 of those weeks i am with my dad who lives 3-5hours away.
My parents can take care of the bunnies but they're not really 'animal' people and i don't think they take the very best care of my buns.
I am thinking this summer to take my buns with me however they would have to live indoors (they're outside now) in those indoor cages that you can buy in pets stores and have a small run so that they can get exercise.

1. How can you make the trip less stressful

2. Would you put them in a normal carrier in the car or inside the indoor cage - i've heard its best if the cage is small in case of sudden breaking and secure

3. Where would you put the carrier? On the seat or on the floor of the car or in the boot of the car , the boot of the car some people advise as its dark and less noisy i believe. ( i found that my dog prefers being on the floor of the car as he feels less sick)

4.Would you play music in the car? or just on a low volume

5.The house has all carpet and it would be my grandmas house and i don't want to ruin her carpet so what would you put on the floor?

I know of people who have taken there rabbits on longer trips and even on planes! so I'm not too worried about it however one of the buns has a sensitive stomach..

None of my rabbits have enjoyed car journeys. They all look horribly car sick (but being rabbits cant vomit). I used to take my first rabbit on weekends away quite regularly; he hated the car but was happy once he'd settled when we arrived.

I take mine in a pet carrier that is large enough for them both to lie down. I strap it to the passenger seat with two webbing straps (more secure than the seat belt). I cover the carrier with a towel to make it a dark hidey-hole, except for the door (which faces). I'm not sure about the boot - lack of fresh air? petrol fumes?? I leave the passenger window open slightly for fresh air. I drive more carefully - smooth starts/stops, no wild swinging round corners etc! - so they're not flung around.

I give them hay to nibble on but mostly they don't touch it. Mine don't use a bottle for water generally (and a water bottle generally empties itself with the movement of the car...) so I just give them water if I stop. I have the radio on but I prefer radio 4 for long journeys anyway, so it's talk rather than music. Rabbit hearing is more sensitive than ours so I would keep music reasonably low.

Stopping's a problem if you're driving alone as you cant leave the windows closed if it's warm or sunny, and of course you don't want to leave a car with them open. I have been known to park next to people and ask if they would 'mind' the car with open windows whilst I pop to the loo!

When I arrive, the rabbits are the first thing I unpack - generally to a quiet area where they can stretch their legs, use the litter tray, nibble some hay, have a drink. I would leave them in peace for a bit to let them settle.

They should be fine going from outdoor to indoor. I don't think an indoor cage plus small run is going to be adequate though. I appreciate it's temporary but you're talking four weeks, not a couple of days. Is there nowhere in the house where they could have access to a decent amount of space for at least mornings/evenings when they're most active? Hallway? Conservatory (again, be careful of heat issues on warm days)?

I'd put an old sheet down on the carpet under the pen. Or puppy training pads. If they wee on the carpet, then I find blotting with paper towels immediately makes a massive difference, then sponge with water and white vinegar. If they're supervised, you should be able to stop any digging before there's significant damage. It's best not to be too house-proud with indoor rabbits, resign yourself and your grandma that hay will track everywhere (but it's only for a few weeks)....! They'll love the carpet though, it's a great race-track.

Back