• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone else experienced this?

olices

Mama Doe
So, yesterday Daisy rabbit was not herself, uncomfortable and not eating, straight to the vets he thinks it was wind and we got some Metacam which helped and she got back to normal.
So,today Harry rabbit exactly the same,another vet trip same diagnosis, gave him some Metacam and recovery food and now he's fine. Both ok with teeth, weight etc.
Both on unlimited hay diet, a very small amount of Burgess excel pellets on a morning, Dandelions and a few Spring greens on an evening, but they've had Parsley tonight as vet recommended it ( a freebie as the self scan didn't scan it and I didn't realise!).
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this in two rabbits, maybe the hay is dodgy, but the vet said what nice hay it was. I was wondering if it was the spring greens, maybe I ought to give them something different?, Anyway, they're both in the kitchen eating and trying to sneak into the lounge so fingers crossed they're both ok now x

Both of mine have had stasis. Chloe twice and Dave once. Dave had it not long after he moved outside into his new hutch so I'm pretty sure it was the move that upset him.

Sorry I didn't read your post properly. My two haven't had stasis at the exact same time, that is a bit odd but maybe just a coincidence? I hope they both make a full recovery :)

So, yesterday Daisy rabbit was not herself, uncomfortable and not eating, straight to the vets he thinks it was wind and we got some Metacam which helped and she got back to normal.
So,today Harry rabbit exactly the same,another vet trip same diagnosis, gave him some Metacam and recovery food and now he's fine. Both ok with teeth, weight etc.
Both on unlimited hay diet, a very small amount of Burgess excel pellets on a morning, Dandelions and a few Spring greens on an evening, but they've had Parsley tonight as vet recommended it ( a freebie as the self scan didn't scan it and I didn't realise!).
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this in two rabbits, maybe the hay is dodgy, but the vet said what nice hay it was. I was wondering if it was the spring greens, maybe I ought to give them something different?, Anyway, they're both in the kitchen eating and trying to sneak into the lounge so fingers crossed they're both ok now x

Yes, a bit of a coincidence - poor you (and them).

Could be something upset them. If they are outdoors, it's difficult to know what it might have been. Also, one being 'off' could have upset the other.

Has it happened like this before?

Continue to monitor both of them closely. Stasis can have a lot of causes and it is often accompanied by other problems bacteria build-up in the intestines/cecum, gasey digestive system, bloat, dehydration. It is often difficult to tell what came first--did the other issues cause the stasis, or vice versa. In my experience the best treatment is the Metacam and recovery food you mentioned--and, if necessary, supplemental hydration via syringe or sub-Q and motility agents. I generally give the bunny a modest amount (what they can absorb in a few hours) of sub-Q fluids as a precaution-and I always will hydrate if they are not drinking their usually amount.

If you have concerns about the hay get a new batch and see if it makes a difference. Others on this site mention problems following the ingestion of Spring greens when the bunny is not accustomed to them.

Hopefully your bunnies will be back to their usually selfs in a jiffy.

I think it's very unusual for both buns to have gut slow down so close together.
I've known spring greens & all the cabbage family to cause gas, which can progress to stasis. This is the easiest potential issue to address.
Something to consider is whether a fox or cat does the rounds at night & spooks them. My bun Benjie is very nervous. A fox was spooking him out although he sleeps in my bedroom!

Let's hope it's a 1 off & they recover fu;;y & permanently

I think it's very unusual for both buns to have gut slow down so close together.
I've known spring greens & all the cabbage family to cause gas, which can progress to stasis. This is the easiest potential issue to address.
Something to consider is whether a fox or cat does the rounds at night & spooks them. My bun Benjie is very nervous. A fox was spooking him out although he sleeps in my bedroom!

Let's hope it's a 1 off & they recover fu;;y & permanently

Hi Judy, lovely to have your much valued advice in 'Health' again

OP, I have had a lot of Rabbits who had episodes of a 'gassy tummy' due to feeding them Spring Greens, so I think thumps_ may be on the right track there. Also, if the greens are not very thoroughly rinsed before feeding them this can cause problems. During the packaging process some veg are actually 'cleaned' with a solution containing dilute chlorine :shock: This can disrupt the balance of gut flora and cause GI tract problems as a result.

thumps_ is RUs expert on the complexities of a Rabbit's GI tract !

As thumps_ also mentioned, the presence of a predator such as a Fox could easily cause a Rabbit to go into a stress/fear induced gut stasis. I hope that your Rabbits remain well now, but if it happens with either or both of them again personally I would want a Vet to examine them.

Thanks everyone.
They both are fine this morning,lots of eating and poop, we're going to stop giving greens. There are lots of cats around here too,which may have spooked them. They have a really close bond and I was remembering last night that when Harry had a UTI Daisy was a bit down too. If it happens again the vet said they'll do further tests to see what's causing it x

Thanks everyone.
They both are fine this morning,lots of eating and poop, we're going to stop giving greens. There are lots of cats around here too,which may have spooked them. They have a really close bond and I was remembering last night that when Harry had a UTI Daisy was a bit down too. If it happens again the vet said they'll do further tests to see what's causing it x

I'm glad to hear they are fine this morning!

Because the two of them happened in quick succession, it may have been something that happened outdoors, as I mentioned, and it could well have been those darned cats!

I hope it doesn't happen again :D

Back