• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss of girl rabbit

Laureyxo

New Kit
Sadly my beautiful girl bun had a horrific stroke in the garden today and had to be pts. I am devastated but worried about my boy bun. He is indoors but has been very restricted to his cage lately aside from garden runs so is a bit anti social at the best of times apart from when he was with our girl bun and he was soo loving and happy with her. He doesn't know she died and I was in shock and didn't ask for the body back, how do I behave with him? What shall I do to make this time more bearable for him? I've left his cage door open now my son is in bed so he can come out and be with us if he wants and have given him a couple of treats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

I'm very sorry you lost your little girl today :(

I was in a similar position to you about a month ago when one of my bunnies lost his bonded partner. I think the advice generally is to give the bereaved bun something to distract them, like new toys to play with and a cuddly toy to snuggle up with. My remaining bun wasn't really interested in those things however. Although he is not anti-social as such he most definitely prefers the company of rabbits to humans. I gave him as much TLC as I could, lots of strokes and sitting with him, but I knew my company wasn't good enough. So I got onto a rescue very quickly to get him a new friend and he has been much happier since he has been bonded with her.

I can understand that the thought of getting another rabbit must be unbearable for you at the moment, I know I certainly found it extremely difficult emotionally. In the meantime I would just suggest sitting on the floor and seeing if he comes over to you. He may appreciate your company more during his bereavement.

Sending you and your family lots of hugs and nose rubs to your bun xx

Thanks so much for replying, my girl bun was elderly but I'm still very traumatised by how it happened it was very acute and nasty. She was the most gentle rabbit I have ever encountered. We actually got her from a rescue when our last girl bun passed away as a pal for our boy bun. I feel bad for him that he's gone through this twice now.

I read on the RWAF that if they don't know their partner has died it may take them longer to accept another partner - originally we weren't planning on anymore as we have a young baby but obviously I don't want him to be unhappy.

I am going to try and let him out when my little boy is napping and get some cheap bathroom mats so he's not skidding all over the laminate bless him!

Sorry for your loss also, it's so heartbreaking. I have lost my girl cat and girl bun in the space of 2 months both unexpectedly and I am so sad xxx

I'm sorry for your loss:( She sounded like a really lovely bunny. I think lots of TLC for your remaining rabbit & if you are in a position to get him a friend that would be perfect. Rabbit responses to grief seems to vary so much, I hope yours will adjust well x

Back