• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horrible situation- help needed

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I am not sure where it is best to post this, feel free to ask me to move it.

I have 2 rabbits Bellatrix a beautiful gentle french lop who is currently suffering with multiple abscesses and Theodore, the cutest, cheekiest rabbit i've known. Unfortunately their bond has broken due to Bellatrix's discomfort and they are currently having to be kept separately.

At the moment I live between my parents and my boyfriends house and often stay out at other places to as home life is difficult. The rabbits are 100% mine and my responsibilty but my mum is happy to feed them when I am not around and I trust her totally. My parents have decided to move out of the area and I have been forced to rent a flat that does not take animals. I have been told that we have to be out of this house in 2 weeks and I will move into my flat but my parents do not have a house to move into and will be renting a holiday home where they can only take 1 animal, our dog. They have offered to have the rabbits when they move into their new home but this could be weeks away and even then I don't think they would have enough space to house both rabbits separately if I cannot repair their bond. I have contacted rabbit boarders in the area and they are all fully booked. The fact that they need to be housed separately means I probably have to find 2 different places if I was to give them to friends for a little while and I am also aware that it is a lot to ask someone to look after Bellatrix who is unwell and needs extra care.

Please, please can I have some insight into anything that I may have overlooked. I don't know what to do. I feel so guilty to put my rabbits in this situation, I love them both more than anything and this is so difficult. Is there a chance that anyone on this forum would be close to the Leeds area and able to put up one or both of them? I know this is a long shot but worth a try. I am also not financially stable because of the situation I have been put in so this is also something to think about.

I just need the support, this is breaking my heart :'( Thank you.

I have 2 rabbits Bellatrix a beautiful gentle french lop who is currently suffering with multiple abscesses and Theodore, the cutest, cheekiest rabbit i've known. Unfortunately their bond has broken due to Bellatrix's discomfort and they are currently having to be kept separately.

At the moment I live between my parents and my boyfriends house and often stay out at other places to as home life is difficult. The rabbits are 100% mine and my responsibilty but my mum is happy to feed them when I am not around and I trust her totally. My parents have decided to move out of the area and I have been forced to rent a flat that does not take animals. I have been told that we have to be out of this house in 2 weeks and I will move into my flat but my parents do not have a house to move into and will be renting a holiday home where they can only take 1 animal, our dog. They have offered to have the rabbits when they move into their new home but this could be weeks away and even then I don't think they would have enough space to house both rabbits separately if I cannot repair their bond. I have contacted rabbit boarders in the area and they are all fully booked. The fact that they need to be housed separately means I probably have to find 2 different places if I was to give them to friends for a little while and I am also aware that it is a lot to ask someone to look after Bellatrix who is unwell and needs extra care.

Please, please can I have some insight into anything that I may have overlooked. I don't know what to do. I feel so guilty to put my rabbits in this situation, I love them both more than anything and this is so difficult. Is there a chance that anyone on this forum would be close to the Leeds area and able to put up one or both of them? I know this is a long shot but worth a try. I am also not financially stable because of the situation I have been put in so this is also something to think about.

Two weeks sounds like an incredibly short notice period to move out of your house. Can't you query that? I don't know much about renting, but I thought notice periods were contractually agreed upon .. ? To have to get everything sorted within that time sounds far too much for you, or anyone, to cope with. Let alone the problems with Bellatrix.

when do your parents move? Could they help in the meantime to give you a bit more of a breathing space?

So sorry about your dilemma x

It's a shame you don't live nearer, I have a great pet boarder who charges £6 per night. Have you looked a bit outside your area or maybe your vets could recommend someone. Maybe one of the vet nurses could help or know someone?

So sorry that you find yourself in this situation. You say that you are not allowed pets at the flat. This usually applies to dogs and cats I know, but would it be worth asking ? You could always cover the floor with some cheap vinyl (non slip) that could be removed when you decide to move out ? Some landlords allow an additional clause in the lease, that specifies that you agree to pay for any damage that your pet may incur. Just a thought !

I've sent you a message x

I read an article the other day that said that the rule about no pets in rented houses actually doesn't apply to rabbits or chickens and that you are actually allowed to make amendments to the house/ garden for rabbits and chickens. Not sure in all the details but maybe look into that and see if they could go with you?

Found the article http://www.property118.com/landlords-must-let-tenants-keep-chickens-and-rabbits/10688/

Last edited:
So sorry that you find yourself in this situation. You say that you are not allowed pets at the flat. This usually applies to dogs and cats I know, but would it be worth asking ? You could always cover the floor with some cheap vinyl (non slip) that could be removed when you decide to move out ? Some landlords allow an additional clause in the lease, that specifies that you agree to pay for any damage that your pet may incur. Just a thought !

I agree with Pets mum. I live in rented accommodation as well and I was allowed to have rabbits on the proviso that I accepted liabilty (given in writing) for any damage they caused and gave detailed information on the measures I'd take to protect the flat from damage. Might be worth trying to negotiate with the landlord or letting agent for an additional clause in the lease to allow you to keep them.

I really hope you are able to get something sorted out. It's a really horrible sitaution to be in with Bellatrix being unwell too.

Yes, the first thing I would do is find out exactly what they mean by no pets. Generally they mean no dogs, and sometimes no cats but a lot of places are fine with 'caged' pets. So ask if they'd accept a rabbit(s) in a cage.

Back