• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Same sex pairing

Alicia

Mama Doe
Yes I'm daydreaming about more rabbits again :lol: in the next year or so I'd like to get another pair of bunnies, I love my male and female pairing but I was wondering about same sex pairing. I was always told to get a neutered male female pair. My friend has 4 males and 3 of them are neutered and they get along so well, is this rare. Can anyone share their stories (good and bad) of bonding same sex rabbits?

I wouldn't advise female/female bonding unless they come from same litter and can be neutered young.

We bonded Daphne & Phoebe. Took 3 months before they could share their downstairs cage and another month before I felt comfortable sleeping away from them. They were 3 & 4 months when bonding.... both neutered very young.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

we have a selection of groups with various male/male/female/female combinations and trios etc etc - almost all joined up when adult. However generally speaking I personally think female/female is the trickiest and male/male eaisier as long as the males were neutered some time before the pairing (preferably at least three months)..

Hi, I'm probably not the best example. But I have three females together, who are getting on great after almost a year - however, they are litter mates and have all been spayed x

I have three sisters together, along with a neutered Buck. They were spayed at 6 months though as one was getting very hormonal, touch wood other than one brief spat immediately post spay, they've always got on well.

I have two boys together and they absolutely adore eachother. They have always been together though. We tried to introduce a third boy and it appeared to go well at first but in the end it didn't work out :(

Maybe it's more the personality of each rabbit rather than their sex?

No idea as I have only ever had 2 sisters together and a male and female pair!

I once had 2 pairs of same sex rabbits, 2 boys (brothers) who were very loving to each other, and 2 girls (sisters) who were close but never groomed each other. I later bonded all 4 together.

My 4 boys exceptionally open to new buddies
we had the two white ones, Raffy and Donny (lionhead) at first
the Mikey joined in, we were told to keep they apart for at least a week, but first evening when Mikey got home he binkyed and the two boys checked him out
On 2nd day they were hanging out together already and being potective of the little Mikey boy from us
We had Leo last, we brought the 3 boys to visit his home and they were hopping around all together instantly and that evening, they were sharing the same bowl for dinner and cuddling already
They did get into occasional fights from time to time before they all got castrated together about 4 months after they are together.
But most of the time they groom each other, cuddling and everything.
11112897_10155815565190089_1235741796307041727_n.jpg

first, there were these two
11811286_10155983187770089_6578269806872213869_n.jpg

then came Mikey, that was the first evening Mikey joined the team
11800160_10155983213305089_1384205127339813975_n.jpg

Then comes Leo

I am so blessed with these loving boyz
11866429_10156012069670089_4912058002218873484_n.jpg

My 4 boys exceptionally open to new buddies
we had the two white ones, Raffy and Donny (lionhead) at first
the Mikey joined in, we were told to keep they apart for at least a week, but first evening when Mikey got home he binkyed and the two boys checked him out
On 2nd day they were hanging out together already and being potective of the little Mikey boy from us
We had Leo last, we brought the 3 boys to visit his home and they were hopping around all together instantly and that evening, they were sharing the same bowl for dinner and cuddling already
They did get into occasional fights from time to time before they all got castrated together about 4 months after they are together.
But most of the time they groom each other, cuddling and everything.
11112897_10155815565190089_1235741796307041727_n.jpg

first, there were these two
11811286_10155983187770089_6578269806872213869_n.jpg

then came Mikey, that was the first evening Mikey joined the team
11800160_10155983213305089_1384205127339813975_n.jpg

Then comes Leo

I am so blessed with these loving boyz
11866429_10156012069670089_4912058002218873484_n.jpg

Lovely photos of four gorgeous buns :love:

I have 2 boys and 2 girls. They're all desexed (obviously), but the girls are sisters and the boys were already bonded by the resuce when I got them. It can be tricky, all bunnies are different.

I had a bonded pair of sister does - Elphie and Galinda. They fell out bigtime prior to neutering and I couldn't get them to rebond. Along came Archimedes, an elderly buck (we initially thought he was younger), managed to bond the three together. Artie died a month after we adopted him. :(

Galinda died after seven months of being devoted to her sister (but having rare bust ups). Elphie grieved heavily for her so I looked for a rex buck. Came back with a neutered rex boy, Helios, and his unneutered sister, Selene. They took to Elphie immediately.

In the meantime, I also adopted a pair of rescue crossbreed sisters. Morning and River. They were allegedly bonded, but it turned out to be a loose bond which pretty much imploded a month after adoption. Instead of returning one or both of them, I risked bonding Morning in with Elphie, Helios and Selene. They accepted her straight away! So now my quad is 3 unrelated does and a buck, who is brother to one of them. Selene has now been spayed and though Elphie and Helios have had health issues, they couldn't be happier as a group. :love:

(River and Morning were a 'Support Adoption for Pets' adoption. Already spayed because their bond was loose and they'd fight, because they'd been in the charity for 6 months and were apparently needed to be more appealing. They were not ex shop stock, but 2.5 year olds who were surrendered for jumping over low fences and digging. Or, you know, just being rabbits. They have a ton of fear aggression pent up in them and I've been working on gaining their trust. Morning's come on leaps and bounds. River has too, but much more slowly. Re-surrendering them wasn't an option because of what the girls are like and because 'Support Adoption' pets don't go to properly vetted homes, so they could have ended up in a much worse position and they had clearly been through enough already. When I adopted them, they were in their 2nd P@H Adoption bit, their space was tiny for 2 3kg girls and the moment anyone opened their pen door, they showed fear aggression and put off potential adoptees. Apart from me. They're turning into lovely girls. It's just their bond didn't work. :( )

River now has a devoted husbun in Takumi (aka Little Bit). So even though my second sister pair didn't work out, both girls are happy. And I've ended up with 8 rabbits.

Back