• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Plot Thickens...

jemjabella

Mama Doe
In case you've not seen my other threads, I recently adopted a bunny called Peanut from a local cat rescue where I volunteer once a week. I was concerned about his limited diet, tiny poos and lack of companionship. He had a bad start to life being locked in a dark space with nothing but a bowl of muesli for company. Since bringing him home I've managed to wean him onto science selective nuggets and plenty of hay/readigrass which has massively improved his poos.

I did my usual day at the rescue yesterday and when I went to clean out and feed their two remaining buns I couldn't find one. One of the pair was a digger so I thought maybe they'd managed to get round the fences etc. Nope, turns out that one of them had died. Frustrating, because the rabbit who passed away I'd already mentioned to the rescue owner the previous week suggesting that he should get attention. I can't remember what it was I saw that had made me concerned but it was obviously something I thought worthwhile bringing up. It turns out he died the following day.

Unfortunately while the rescue are fabulous with cats, they're entirely reliant on volunteers and it's one thing spotting a poorly cat and another entirely spotting a poorly rabbit - I don't think anyone else (volunteers) there has enough experience to make judgement calls on that sort of thing :(

So now I'm thinking I should adopt the lone female at the rescue and attempt to bond with Peanut. I'm still concerned, however, about Peanut's grumpiness. I'm also concerned that we don't know why the rabbit at the rescue died. Although they are all vaccinated, I'm terrified of bringing the new strain of VHD home (especially after I went into panic mode with Bramble when he was suspected as having had it).

I don't know what to do. Anyone with some sensible advice?

It sounds like it might be best for her to move elsewhere but that doesn't necessarily have to be to your home. It could be to a rabbit rescue that has the knowledge/resources to care/rehome her.

Is peanut in a position to bond e.g. neutered? I wouldn't worry too much about grumpiness towards humans, than doesn't necessarily translate into bonding. It sounds like you might be able to try her as a match and see if it could work out.

The incubation for RVHD2 is longer, so if that's a worry for you then waiting two weeks from the other buns death and checking her for any signs of health issues is a reasonable precaution.

Peanut is fully neutered, vaccinated etc - no reason not to go ahead and bond aside from my worry about his temper and the VHD concerns.

Well if you're willing to try it, a couple of weeks grace would solve the VHD concerns and a test introduction somewhere neutral would give you a more definite answer on temper. Do they have somewhere neutral you could borrow for a test meet? You should be able to tell very quickly if it's completely impossible (instant aggression) or is worth pursuing further (ignoring or positive interaction) :)

Thanks for your replies & advice Tamsin. Picking new bunny up next week all being well - should be just over 2 weeks then - and will give the bonding a go indoors (Peanut has been too scared to come inside from out of the utility so it's a nice rabbit-smell-free place to try!)

It's been ages since I've done a bonding so this could be interesting!

Back