• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby buns!

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello
I've just picked up a male 9 week old rabbit.
I'm just wondering what my options are.
I know rabbits prefer to be in pairs. But I've had extremely bad luck with rabbit pairs so I'm just trying to do everything right.
I don't know whether to get another male young bunny and then get them both neutered as soon as I can.
Or whether I get the one I have done as soon as I can and then get another young rabbit to go with him.
Or whether I get another baby female rabbit (risky I know) and then get him done as soon as I can. And then get her done as soon as I can.
I've read that they are more likely to get on if they've been together since they were young (but am also aware I would need to get them done)
Any help would be brilliant!

Hi Alexandra, you are right that normally bunnies are happiest in pairs :) However they don't have to be together from a young age necessarily in order to get on. I would recommend that unless you are able to house another rabbit separately to your boy, you don't get another one until after he's been neutered. It also takes 3-4 weeks after neutering for everything to get out of his system, as it were!

Some rescue centres will do bonding for you, where they take in your rabbit for a short time and look after the pair as they help them to bond. That could be a good option for you if you're not confident about supervising the bonding process at home. Also they would usually spay or neuter bunnies before rehoming them so you wouldn't have to worry about that. The bunnies don't have to be the same age in order to get on :) Male/female pairings are the most common but same sex pairings can work depending on the rabbits. Do you know any rescues close to you that you could get in touch with?

Obviously we'd all love pictures of your baby bun too :D

Back