• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No! Don't eat that!

Clayton is a rabbit who likes digging so I thought I'd fill up a base of a hamster prison without the barred part (I no longer needed said hamster jail cell as a carrier) full of shredded paper I bought from a local pet store for him until I could find a large plastic storage box he could hop into easily and he seemed fine until I noticed him eating the shredded paper as though it was hay despite having full access to lots of sources to hay such as a hay rack and toys stuffed full of hay for example. I immediately started to shoo him out of the commercial hamster cage base and took it off him after he jumped out! The last thing I want is to have to make a trip to the emergency vets for a life threatening blockage or something due to consuming something he shouldn't be eating (I am not too sure how much he has ate since I left the digging base out for quite a while before seeing him trying some) and I plan on keeping a very close eye on him for the next week or so despite him drinking/eating and pooping/urinating like he should. My question is what is the best and safest digging material for a rabbit and what would you recommend and why?

Last edited:
I've put compost in plastic storage boxes before for mine. One of my does, little darling, will get in, shove every last atom of compost out of the box then hop out with a satisfied smirk. I've heard people recommend the type of sand you would put in a child's sandpit, but I'd worry about it getting in their eyes.

Back