• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size difference

What is the size difference between a Netherland Dwarf and a Lionhead? Are they roughly the same size or is one smaller than the other? I have tried to look for photos for size comparisons but I couldn't find any. What is the Netherlands personality like? Can they be just as feisty as Lionheads?

Last edited:
Netherlands are small, Lionheads are a bit bigger. Personalities can vary with both breeds but generally I have found Lionheads are very sweet. Netherlands csn be a bit feisty but not always.

netherland dwarfs are the smallest breed along with polish, lionheads are bigger sizes can vary but many I have seen are the same size as dwarf lops

Lionheads tend to vary a bit in size as they can be crosses with other breeds, generally though they are one of the smaller breeds. Nethies vary a bit in size too some are very dinky. Very roughly a nethie is usually 1-1.4kg and a lionhead around 1.4-2kg - but they can be bigger if crossed with something as they are often labelled lionhead just because of the tufts!

If it looks like a lion head and weighs the same as a lionhead then unless your planning on breeding to breed standards you might as well assume it is a lionhead :) Lionheads are a relatively new breed created by crossing others (including the Netherland) so they are a bit more genetically varied anyway.

If you're looking at adoption pictures, asking the size/weight is the best option if you don't want to go too big.

Back