• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death

Nataliek

New Kit
My beautiful little boy has sadly passed away.
I'm in complete shock.... he was running round the garden lovely yesterday. Iv just got back from work and found him in his run 😢😢.
He was my babyou and I loved him with all my heart 😢 I feel completely heart broken.

Would anyone have any idea what could of killed him?
No fly strike.
He was eating....
No warning signs at all

Sleep tight my little smokey
Mommy loves you so much 😢

Oh no, how awful for you, I'm so sorry :(

I hate to ask but was he vaccinated as VHD can cause sudden death with no symptoms :(

You are in my thoughts x

Very sorry you lost your baby what an awful shock for you.
Hopefully if he went suddenly he didn't suffer for long xx

Perhaps he was frightened by something. Did he have somewhere to hide? I am very sorry for your loss.

He was due his injections ....
He was really poorly quite a few months ago... he had EC.
The vets didn't think he was going to live but with hard work he made a full recovery... he was back to running around, was eating very well and had put lots of weight back on. I just don't get it, I'm so heart broken... I can't stop crying. I really can't believe he's gone, wish I wasn't at work now... that I was atleast with him... maybe I'd have noticed him acting strange and I could of helped him in time ��

I'm so sorry you lost him :cry: sadly they are so delicate and can sometimes go downhill very quickly. Sending hugs xx

Hi friend fudge won't move the the spot I found smokey in..... which is not his usual place to rest at. Just keeps sitting there staring as if he's waitin for him to come back.....

So sorry this has happened, what a shock. Poor fudge missing his friend :(, was he with him at the time, was he able to 'say goodbye'? From reading on here I've learned that it's good for them to be able to see / sniff the body (everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) x

It's so sad isn't it? :( I remember Tinkerbell when Simba died, she was very quiet for a few days. She had been a houserabbit but, when I bonded her, Simba hated the house so they went and lived outside.

I brought Tinkerbell back inside as a houserabbit again when I saw how depressed she had become. She was happy again with us, and the cats!, for company.

When I found smokey fudge was in the hutch just looking at him....I think it might have scared him cuz they are always together... I didn't leave him in there cuz I'd been at work for 8 hours so didn't know when he passed. Although his body was still very floppy n not cold. :( I feel so broken. He was my little baby, that every1 fell in love with

I'm so sorry that you lost your little man :( Have you thought about a post mortem to identify what it was? It may help you feel better if it proves that it wasn't your fault x

Edit: I know that it wouldn't have been your fault, I just wondered if a post mortem might prove to you that it wasn't.

Back