• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welfare hutch bed area

My welfare hutch and run have finally arrived and the rabbits love it. So do I!
As it was chilly last night, I put the rabbits back in the garage so I've not set up their bedroom properly yet.
Can anyone give me a suggestion about how to best set out the space for their sleeping quarters?
It's 3 foot deep and 2 feet wide. At the moment it has newspaper, straw and a small pile of hay, plus a large paper bag full of hay and a toilet tray. Should I take the toilet and bag out and just ensure it is stuffed with loads of hay for sleeping in??
TIA

I haven't had outdoor bunnies in years but I used to just pack the sleeping area with hay :)

How big are the bunnies? This time of year I'd just add some straw, unless it's super cold where you are that will be fine. For winter, I'd add a smaller box inside to create a more snug area :)

Rabbits tend to sleep where they choose - it probably won't be in the bedroom but it might be. I would wait to see where they prefer to be at night then decide what to do. A lot of bunnies like a shelf in their hutch, but some sleep in their litter trays.

That's about medium :) Just checking they aren't giants, who'd obviously need more space to stretch! That's quite a big bed area, so I would definately add a smaller box inside for winter to make it cosy.

As tonibun say's they'll often sleep all over the place, and not necessarily in the bed. Though it's important they have a sheltered area to hide in to feel secure.

They are well insulated with all their fluff, so don't be surprised if you find them napping in the middle of the hutch/run even in cold weather.

Back