• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling a very guilty bunny mummy today

Ems&Arnold

New Kit
Dear All,

(Sorry, am using this forum as an outlet as I think my real world people might be rolling their eyes a bit at my endless fawning over Arnold!)

Feeling very guilty today as Arnold (usually about 70 - 80% free range house bunny) has been confined to his hutch, for some hutch reinforcement time.

I had a re-jiggle of some of the furniture in the room yesterday, just to make things even easier, nicer and even safer for both of us. His hutch has been moved from one side of the room to the other.

I've had in him my company now for 2 months, and he's been the shining example of litter trained for all that time, yet last night and today we've had a couple of "accidents" :oops: Nevermind, no great harm done, but certainly perhaps some litter tray reinforcement time required.

Cue me now feeling hideous (for rearranging the room, for moving his hutch, for caging him, for existing) every time I walk past his hutch - his little face pressed up to the hutch door, all accusing of eye :? and rattling of cage door.

Hmmmm... might dig out of small treat. He hasn't had a juicy nugget of apple in quite sometime.

If you've rearranged things then the "accidents" are likely to be bunny reinforcing his territory and marking it to show other bunnies that it is occupied. I wouldn't think that locking bunny in his hutch would help. Maybe try placing some temporary litter trays where he's been toileting in the room and then gradually removing them.

Hi, similar to the others if you are shutting him in to try and make him use his litter tray again. I can honestly say this is not likely to work and to me sounds rather harsh!

I have a little Male and I have recently moved his bits around too.. He also is weeing everywhere apart from his litter tray. So I've vingered all my carpet and moved some of his dirty litter back to the litter Tray, and although we still have some odd ones near the litter tray, the majority is actually in the tray. Bailey is completely free range house bun, and if he's managed to get better again just by this, surely this is maybe the way forward? If bunnies are more happy and relaxed, they'll be more inclined to learn, rather than being shut in as bless him, he won't understand why he's locked in and will just be confusing for him!

But saying that he has been feeling poorly recently so again this is also a possibility of why, how is your little bunny? Is there any chance this could possibly be similar and is he showing any other worrying or maybe concerning signs?

Either way, please let him out and see how he goes xx

Last edited:
Oh dear, my bad ....

Not sure I should have posted anything at all now (my lesson learned). I wasn't lost and sadly everyone seems to have interrupted the wrong / worst assumption from my (on review) rather poor ramblings.

I'll take full responsibility for that one, sorry lovely people - I'll learn, thank you for caring enough to respond anyway, that's sweet and entirely what this forum is all about, which is great.

Please be assured that Arnold is just fine (nothing harsh or horrible occurred). He is currently having jolly good fun terrorizing his toys, a couple of sunny Sunday afternoon binkys. Plus that kind of emphatic floppage to the floor, that always momentarily stops my heart, but is just him getting comfy for a bit of a snooze. All is well :) Thank you all again.

Back