• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

£30 pet insurance for two bunnies!

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Got a quote from petplan about two mini lops and it came to £15 for each bunny so £30 every month.

They are both 4 years old with no health problems in the past, no illness or stasis or anything like that. The previous owner had insurance but cancelled it because any problems they did have didn't go above the excess.

So is it worth it?

-Got a quote from helpucover (£10.70 per rabbit) and petlifecover (£11.49) Haven't looked at the terms an conditions yet but seen a few people on here are with helpucover.

Last edited:
There are lots of threads about this. Many who have claimed think that it is definitely worth it as treatment has gone into £thousands. A lot depends on whether you have a fund you can dig into if needed.

i didn't insure both my rabbits bisc and matt, and my first two piggies chesney and maisie. in all four cases it was a mistake! i insured eddie piggy and that was also worth it. and piggies mollie and benjie are insured now and so far it's been worth it for mollie, and *touch wood* benjie hasn't needed it so far, but i like knowing it's there just incase.

i'd always insure :wave:

Got a quote from petplan about two mini lops and it came to £15 for each bunny so £30 every month.

They are both 4 years old with no health problems in the past, no illness or stasis or anything like that. The previous owner had insurance but cancelled it because any problems they did have didn't go above the excess.

So is it worth it?

-Got a quote from helpucover (£10.70 per rabbit) and petlifecover (£11.49) Haven't looked at the terms an conditions yet but seen a few people on here are with helpucover.

I think from petplan I pay £22 for my two (£8 for Flo and £14 for Tubsy), though I get veterinary professional discount.
Since November I've spent out approx £1500 of my £2000 limit for Flo, only had to pay £150 excess (3x £50). All totally unexpected, as she is a young relatively healthy rabbit. £500 for a random bout of gut stasis, £150 for investigation into sudden weight loss, the rest on investigation and 3 months treatment for pneumonia.

Insure, whoever you go with. As long as you understand what they cover etc. I have had great experience with petplan, quick to pay me back.

So, say they both live til 10 years old, you'll pay £2160 in insurance. The first question is - do you think they'll cost you more than that over the same period? And question two is if they cost you £2k or even £500 tomorrow, do you have the cash?

If the answer to question one is yes, insurance is a good deal. If you think that's less or about the same as you'd spend over their life times, then a regular saving account is another option to look into. However that's not such a great option if you don't have savings already as you don't know when you'll have to spend it. Insurance is one way to spread out the cost of vet bills, whilst still giving you the cash if the £2k bill comes the week after you start saving or in five years time. On the other hand, with insurance if you don't need it, you don't get the cash back.

It is definitely worth it. You just don't know when something is going to go wrong, when somebun is going to become unwell... A single episode of serious illness can soon add up to £500+. I pay £12 a month per bun, for three rabbits, with Petplan. In the last 3 years they have paid out about £3000. No brainer for me!

So is it worth it?

is that including multipet discount ie, petplan?

Mine are with NCI. It's lifetime cover so they can't refuse to insure them. It was £8.33 for each last year when I took it out -they were both 3.

Premiums increased at renewal last month. Wills to £9 and Nancys to £12. I had 2 claims for Nancy during the year.

Definitely worth it tho.

I pay around £20 for my two with PP (both under 1yr age).
I think £30 for two at 4yrs is a reasonable price (most increase price at 5yr age).

Have you also included the PP multi-pet discount. My two should be £29 but I only pay £20 because of my discount.

I'd always go for insurance, even though I easily have £2k available. You never know what is around the corner.... you could have unexpected bills + vet fees in one week.

Most vets will claim the money directly from PP if it's over a certain amount, but may be reluctant with other companies who sometimes quibble hospitalisation fees, medication prices etc

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We have spent over £2.500 on Blossom since August and roughly £120 a month from now on due to the frequency of his dental needs. Last Sunday we had to rush our guinea pig Jessie to the emergency vets. She was kept in an incubator over night and sadly we lost her :cry: - over £600 spent in a 12 hour period. Neither have insurance and if we ever have any more I will definitely insure immediately. A little bit a month is manageable - unlike some of the bills we have got.......We would drain our savings for Blossy but it's still a hell of a lot of money.:roll:

Back