• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits pulling at fur

Hello,

I have two female lion head rabbits who are from the same kit, both were brought home together when they were 8 weeks old. They are now 2 years old and have spent their life living in my flat, when we are out they live in their large cage and when we are home they have the whole flat to run about, spending most of their time with us in the lounge.

In the last 6 months we have noticed that they will occasionally fight, sometimes it will happen three days in a row or it'll just be a once off. It tends to happen later on in the evening once they've had their dinner and have been out of the cage for a few hours. It is always Peggy (a slightly smaller lion head) who is chasing the other, they will run laps around their cage and Peggy will always get chunks of fur from Douglas (excuse the name, this is a female rabbit). I intervene by getting on the floor to their level and getting in the middle of it, Douglas will run off however Peggy will try and continue the chase. I will then catch Peggy and put her in the cage.

They have never fought so much that injuries have been sustained, however they had a fight about 6 months ago when they were rolling on the floor scratching at each other.

Generally they both seem to love each other, they spend all of their time together. They both groom each other, Peggy enjoys grooming Douglas more often and this has on a few occasions ended up in Peggy chasing Douglas as he gets annoyed with all the grooming and tries to get away. They will also lay very closely with each other and snuggle, they share food very well and never fight over food. They have lots of different toys that I try and alternate as I know bunnies can quickly become disinterested.

They are quite tame but not completely, they still seem a little scared of humans despite alway being around me and my flat mate.

I'm hoping these little chases and fur pulling is just play fighting!

Please could someone advise me!

THANK YOU

What you have described is pretty much normal behaviour for 2 sisters, especially if they have not been neutered. One has to be the dominant rabbit and woe betide her sister if the dominant one is in a grumpy mood. Obviously if this chasing/fighting happens often then it is not fair on the submissive rabbit and she will be living in fear of her sister. Only you can judge whether or not it is fair to let them carry on living together as there are varying degrees of bossyness.

Thankyou for your responses. I forgot to mention it but yes, they are both spayed.

In general I wouldn't say Douglas is scared of peggy, however for the last few days they are spending less time together. They sit on opposite sides of their cage, perhaps they're have some down time from each other.

Thankyou for your help!

Back