• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small rant about giant rabbits being bred

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I don't normally get very annoyed about things like this but recently some young Flemish giants were released into the wild where I live. The local rescue had to go and round them up and have had to find space for them. They found the guy responsible and apparently he breeds Flemish giants and the buck had died so he released his breeding does as they were too much to handle. Anyway, he's been fined and has to pay costs to the rescue. But some more giants have been taken from him since then. Apparently the conditions the rabbits are kept in aren't great and someone said they have angoras too. This has annoyed me because I live on a fairly small island, and I can't see how there is possibly the market for Flemish giants or Angoras here?? And clearly that is the case as he ended up with too many! So irresponsible. And now the rescue place has to care for all these giant rabbits and get them all neutered and they're not exactly the easiest rabbits to find suitable homes for. I guess the good thing is that the threat of 6 months prison time and paying fines might put other people off abandoning their rabbits.
Anyway, for some reason that annoyed me more than usual!

Yeah it's simply awaful.
I'm glad that some justice has come though and I hope he gets longer than 6 months in jail!
Hopefully those beautiful bunnies will have lovely forever homes in the near future xx

I bet he wont get any time in jail at all. What an utter numpty. One of many out there sadly.

It's great that they fined him. If he's continuing to cause a problem and breeding for profit/pet sales the local council might be worth a try.

Like you say, it seems daft to try breeding animals when there is obviously not a market for them!

I think they should simply ban him from keeping animals for a few years - it would stop his business in its tracks, and the problem would be solved!

He's not likely to face jail, I've seen far more serious cases of neglect (where the animal died) result in nothing more than a slap on the wrists and a few nights of curfew!

Back