• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roam in the garden

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
How many of you allow your bunnies free roam in the garden?

We'd love to do it but we're worried about attack from above... we have birds of prey in the area who attack other birds due to lack of food in the area.

If you do, how do you go about letting them out etc, do you have a roof as such?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

How many of you allow your bunnies free roam in the garden?

We'd love to do it but we're worried about attack from above... we have birds of prey in the area who attack other birds due to lack of food in the area.

If you do, how do you go about letting them out etc, do you have a roof as such?

I am in the garden with them whilst they are free ranging.

I would always supervise unless they were in a secure run with a cover on top. It only takes a couple of seconds for a bird of prey, cat, fox etc to swoop in, get them and then carry them off again.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

I supervise free range also. My main concern is football's. The kids today have already called twice to get their ball to which I told them about the buns and how that could kill them. I also said that if ball come in ball doesn't come back out!! I know I am terrible but I have put a few football's in the bin as I was fed up with it but angry how they could have injured my boys. I spoke to their father today too and to ge fair he understood and the balls haven't been in as much recently . They got a bit of my PMT rath! But what do u do - wait til something happens - nope.

Thanks for the replies.
We'll make it something for when we're around
The garden still needs a lot of work so they won't be doing it until next summer but we'd love to be able to. Daphne eats through runs and I'm tired of buying and building new ones for them.

I'm thinking this is something I'd like to do with my trio, with supervision of course.

Do most of you just section off some of the garden, so they are 'free' but contained? Any useful tips? X

I'm thinking this is something I'd like to do with my trio, with supervision of course.

Do most of you just section off some of the garden, so they are 'free' but contained? Any useful tips? X

Our garden isn't massive and the fencing is all sound so Louie used to have the whole garden.

You could always use puppy panels, if you have any, to fence off a large part of your garden :)

Mightmax I'm a right big meanie with it. They come in "in their own time" which means a massive imposition on my time. It will be so easy when we move as they'll be easy to get in from the tiny outside space they'll have

My trio get & hide everywhere & are not contained at all. Its quite a big garden & seriously overgrown which doesn't help. Getting them in can be a nightmare. They love it so much though.

Mightmax I'm a right big meanie with it. They come in "in their own time" which means a massive imposition on my time. It will be so easy when we move as they'll be easy to get in from the tiny outside space they'll have

I do sympathise!

I have my garden 'sectioned off', so yesterday was patio time (and all the pots thereon including lots of fruit trees to demolish :shock:). It began to absolutely deluge and no sign of anybun running for cover. After about 15 mins I brought in the wet furballs :roll:

However, I was at the doorway and not outside watching :lol:

I'll look into puppy panels, thanks lily, because the garden is huge. A lot of it is communal wire fencing too, so plenty of gaps to squeeze through. I can't spend too much though as I've already spent a fortune on their new run, which will be arriving soon x

I'll look into puppy panels, thanks lily, because the garden is huge. A lot of it is communal wire fencing too, so plenty of gaps to squeeze through. I can't spend too much though as I've already spent a fortune on their new run, which will be arriving soon x
We've used 4x 8-panel puppy panels to fence off the whole lawn. We have trees and a washing line over the top so jjust about impossible for anything that's take something the size of our rabbits to swoop in. Cats are our worry. So, we don't 100% supervise but we only let them into the pen when we're home.

I got my puppy panels from eBay: they were £30 for the tall ones (91cm) I think. Buns have worked out if they flop next to the panels in certain places they move closer to yummy borders: lavender, raspberry, strawberry...!

If my rabbit could speak, he would say that I am a helicopter parent. I'm always right behind him regardless of where he goes in the garden! I mean he can have his fun but I don't want him doing anything silly such as trying to make a sudden bid for freedom.

Last edited:
Back