• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the biggest lop rabbit breed?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've seen an ad (Support Adoption) for a black lop, when I rang to ask if he was still there and details, they said he was a giant. I enquired if French Lop or bigger and the answer was 'bigger, he's a giant'. I thought French Lop was the biggest lop but I could be wrong. Was hoping he would be a dwarf of course so very disappointed but wondering how big a French Lop could be ....or bigger of course.... may go and look at him but I'm supposed to be working so can't do it right now...

...oh, and, is he fully grown at 8 months or got a bit to go?

Last edited:
I imagine he's a cross, a giant with a lop and you could get a giant size rabbit with lop ears - or sometimes their ears are just so big they tend to flop around anyway :)

Yeah, thanks, that should have occurred to me.

He definitely has a 'big rabbit' look about him but looking at the scale of the log bridge thing in the background I don't get the impression he's huge.

Last edited:
Some English Lops can grow extra large and exceed the weight of an average Frenchie. But AFAIK Frenchies are considered to be the largest breed of Lop.

Going to look might be the best option - sometimes rescue volunteers aren't super clued up on breeds. It doesn't help that dwarf lops are bigger than mini's. He doesn't look giant but photos can be deceptive. At eight months an average size rabbit will be full grown, a giant can grow a little longer but isn't going to double in size or anything dramatic and it will be clear once you see him if he is. You could ask weight - that's a better indicator.

They said they would only rehome him as a free range house rabbit anyway, I can only offer outdoor so ... I need to be realistic and accept that dwarf lop is largest I should look at... I'll only get told off for getting another lop anyway... I should be going for the "62%" ie uppy eared ;)

Last edited:
They said they would only rehome him as a free range house rabbit anyway, I can only offer outdoor so ... I need to be realistic and accept that dwarf lop is largest I should look at... I'll only get told off for getting another lop anyway... I should be going for the "62%" ie uppy eared ;)

(still might have a peak at him though)

Or 'pr1ck eared' as FHB calls it.

Never heard that term before!

Or 'pr1ck eared' as FHB calls it.

Never heard that term before!

I can cope with the term 'pr!ck' ears for Nethies but somehow for the likes of continental giants it doesn't describe them to me... though 'uppy' isn't really the best either!

:cry::cry: ... he's not Anarchy though. I need to stop torturing myself. I can't getting Anarchy back.

A **** liver torsion took him from me and I can't change that. :cry::cry:

Back