• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you take your bonded bunnies separately or together to the vets?

Julia25

Alpha Buck
If one of your bonded bunnies became ill would you separate them? Or take them to the vet together?
I know that if your travelling to the vets its best if your bunny has a bunny friend as this can make the trip less stressful but under what circumstances would you not do this?

eg. If the rabbit showed signs of stasis?
Runny nose/eyes?
Lethargic not moving heavy breathing?

Only reason I'm asking is if the illness could be passed onto the other rabbit, these ^ are only examples.

I think if it was something contagious, the other bun would have already caught it before signs showed up on the "ill" bunny. That means it would be pointless to separate them at that stage. Of course it depends on what it was but personally, I wouldn't separate in that case.
I have to admit that if one bun needs to go to the vets, I generally take them separately. This is because I have a bonded trio and I find that they tend to stress each other out more when taken together. If I take them individually, they are a lot more comfortable and calm. I also take buns separately just in case they need an op (usually a dental). If I just had a pair, I'd probably take them everywhere together but it's not very practical with a trio. Fortunately my buns' bond has never been compromised from them being separated but it may be different with other bunnies.

I would only separate for any length of time to monitor input and output for a bun in stasis or if a bun needed to be confined due to an injury/illness. In this case I always keep the cage in the room with the other buns so they can still see, smell and lie near one another.

Hope this helps.

I would always keep them together.

When my Farore had stasis both her and Loki went in together and were kept in the same space but with Loki in a dog crate so they could be together but the vets could still monitor input/output of the poorly bun.

I will always take them both together because it's scary enough for them just going to the vets, but having to go on their own as well would just make that even worse

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

I always take both. I have to because my old girl Ginny aged 10 pines for Widget aged 4. Ginny has lost two other buns in her life, she stops eating and gets depressed. I don't think she could cope with another loss. When they're running about in the garden and Widget goes off and hides, Ginny gets in a terrible panic.

I'd always take them together - even if I know I'd only be returning with one.

Think the only time I wouldn't is if one was attacking the other. You know how the sometimes take advantage if one is ill.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back