• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking urine?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I wasn't sure if this belonged in health, but has anyone noticed their rabbit drink their urine? I am worried it's an indicator of illness? Beano doesn't wee in the litter tray at times and I notice a patch so go to clean it and it will be gone, yet not absorbed in the carpet yet and today I saw her go and almost straight away turn around and drink it all up. Her back legs play up occasionally, she struggles to put them in a normal position and sometimes they'll be streched out behind her and she'll be slow to pull them back up. She walks rather than hops as well. But then most of the time she'll be fine, she had x rays in January and all normal and had a 28 day course of panacur, as did Jake. They are both due their boosters this month so will be mentioning it to the vet then, just wonder what could be wrong with her.

I wasn't sure if this belonged in health, but has anyone noticed their rabbit drink their urine? I am worried it's an indicator of illness? Beano doesn't wee in the litter tray at times and I notice a patch so go to clean it and it will be gone, yet not absorbed in the carpet yet and today I saw her go and almost straight away turn around and drink it all up. Her back legs play up occasionally, she struggles to put them in a normal position and sometimes they'll be streched out behind her and she'll be slow to pull them back up. She walks rather than hops as well. But then most of the time she'll be fine, she had x rays in January and all normal and had a 28 day course of panacur, as did Jake. They are both due their boosters this month so will be mentioning it to the vet then, just wonder what could be wrong with her.

I have known it to be an indicator of pain, but also of rabbit eccentricity when there's been no known reason for pain.

I haven't found a conclusive reason anywhere, but possible reasons could be:

Possibly attracted to scent from hormones? Eccentricity?
Salt
Stress
Sore mouth, dental problems or pain in general
Something missing in the diet?

Last edited:

I've never seen Petra drink her pee but I won't be letting her lick my face again just in case!!

My first bunny did this when she was young...I witnessed it many times but forgot about it til now. No idea why. I hope Beano is ok & just being a little strange

I've known Rabbits drink their own wee simply as an odd behavioural issue. Sometimes an anxious Rabbit may do it. I have also known Rabbits to do so due to illness/pain, including dental pain, ear pain and kidney problems.

Does Beano's wee look very dilute ? What is her water intake like ?

Thank you for the replies, some made me chuckle! I hope it is purely behavioural. She did have a dental last September time I think and have always closely monitored her since but as far as the vet can see they have since been fine and will be looked at again when she goes for her vaccine.

Jane, I don't think it is dilute no. She does drink a fair bit, compared to Jake. I should start measuring it, as I just give them a bowl and replace every morning and night and I know how much they normally drink and this hasn't changed.

There's more wee patches in the bedroom and I went to clean them and in one there was a tiny speck of blood on the tissue, it was light red and the rest of the wee was fairly pale yellow. I know wee can be dark/red but I've not seen this before and sure it was blood. Poor Beano, there's something going on just need to get to the bottom of it :(

There's more wee patches in the bedroom and I went to clean them and in one there was a tiny speck of blood on the tissue, it was light red and the rest of the wee was fairly pale yellow. I know wee can be dark/red but I've not seen this before and sure it was blood. Poor Beano, there's something going on just need to get to the bottom of it :(

So sorry Liz :(

Good luck with finding out. Really hope it's nothing of note xx

I hope the Vet can identify what is going on. It may 'just' be a UTI/Cystitis. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Thank you both xx

Vets are all booked up this week, Arnie piggy is booked in for Tuesday already so waiting for them to see if the buns can be fitted in then too. Do you think this is OK or I can be seen as an emergency sit and wait? She is fine in herself and no more blood, it was a tiny speck, but obviously I don't want her to be in pain.

Thank you both xx

Vets are all booked up this week, Arnie piggy is booked in for Tuesday already so waiting for them to see if the buns can be fitted in then too. Do you think this is OK or I can be seen as an emergency sit and wait? She is fine in herself and no more blood, it was a tiny speck, but obviously I don't want her to be in pain.

If she seems fine in herself, I would take vet's advice about whether it's an emergency or not. If they think it's OK to wait at this stage, then that's what I would do. Not the reception though - speak with the vet and explain. Of course if anything changes it would become an emergency.

If she seems fine in herself, I would take vet's advice about whether it's an emergency or not. If they think it's OK to wait at this stage, then that's what I would do. Not the reception though - speak with the vet and explain. Of course if anything changes it would become an emergency.

Thank you, I spoke with the vet when booking Arnie's appointment as I wanted to make sure I knew the vet carrying out the procedure and discuss how many neuters he's done etc as it's more of a risk with a guinea pig and he said it would be fine to wait, providing she doesn't get any worse and remains well in herself. Her behaviour hasn't changed at all, and her legs/weeing issues come and go. There's been nothing outside the litter tray since last night and she's been binkying all morning and jumping up on the bed, which is a high bed which she never attempted before but in the last week she jumps up every morning.

Back