• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit sizes

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I was looking at the back of a bag of rabbit food the other day and it showed a picture of a netherland dwarf as 'small', a Dutch as 'medium' and a New Zealand as 'large' breed. Just out of interest what do you class your bunnies as? I would never have said that a Dutch was a medium sized breed.
I always think of sizes:
Dwarf eg netherland dwarf
Small eg Dutch
Medium eg small lop
Large eg English lop
Giant eg Flemish giant

It is confusing - especially when they call some lops 'dwarf lops'...my so called dwarf lops are anything but! I would called them medium I guess - with French Lops being large rabbits...or are those Giants?

I have a Nethie - definitely dwarf. Also a Polish - also small - and a Hotot (so I've been told :roll:)- whatever Prudhoe is - he's also small. Cheyenne is lionhead x - lionheads are also small/medium.

I got caught out with the dwarf lop thing..i'd assumed dwarf meant small so it was a nice surprise Boo was medium sized

I'd go with your definitions Booboobunny. Mine are all 2.5-3k. i'd say they are medium sized

I got caught out with the dwarf lop thing..i'd assumed dwarf meant small so it was a nice surprise Boo was medium sized

I'd go with your definitions Booboobunny. Mine are all 2.5-3k. i'd say they are medium sized

A mini lop is lighter than a dwarf lop then?

And what would a holland lop be? Is one an American term and one an English term for the same thing? I have what I would call a mini lop and she weighs 2.5kg and I'd say she was medium breed, and my work colleague has an identical looking rabbit but is half the size, which I would call a dwarf lop, but would say is a small breed! It gets very confusing!

And what would a holland lop be? Is one an American term and one an English term for the same thing? I have what I would call a mini lop and she weighs 2.5kg and I'd say she was medium breed, and my work colleague has an identical looking rabbit but is half the size, which I would call a dwarf lop, but would say is a small breed! It gets very confusing!

I've no idea which way around the dwarf and mini work :lol:

My mini lop (so called on Preloved) is 1.7kg

mini lop and holland lop i think are the same at 2-3lb and they are dwarf size. The dwarf lop is only a dwarf compared to the french lop or english lop, which i think it might have come from. My dwarf lop adults are 1yr old this month and weight 3.3kg the babies are 6mths and weigh 2.5kg. I thought they were supposed to be small when i got them and when they kept on growing i did lots of reading lol..

In the UK the Dwarf Lop is not a 'dwarf' breed at all ! The US 'Holland Lop' is known as a 'Mini Lop' in the UK. The UK Dwarf Lop is referred to as the 'Mini Lop' in the USA !!

CONFUSED.COM :lol:

The British Dwarf Lop is a medium sized Rabbit weighing approximately 2kg-2.3kg, although non show Dwarf Lops can be larger, up to about 3kg.
The Holland Lop is a dwarfed down version of the French Lop and was originally bred in Holland (obviously !)

My dwarf lop, Elphie, is currently underweight at 1.75kg. Her target weight is probably between 2 and 2.25kg, so we have a bit of a way to go. Most of my rabbits are what I classify as medium: between 2 and 3kg at a healthy weight. Only Apollo is small at about 1.7kg and Little Bit (Takumi) is a proper dwarf at 1.1kg.

Breeds:

Mediums:
Medium cross: Rivergrace and Morningstar - River and Morning are definitely my biggest buns, but aren't giants at all. Probably just shy of 3kg each.
Lionhead/Lionhead cross: Athena
Dwarf Lop: Elphie
Standard Rex: Helios and Selene

Small:
Dutch cross: Apollo

Dwarf:
Mini Rhinelander (I think? Apparently it's a breed 'under development'): Takumi

Ooh thanks jack's-Jane, I think that means that Boo Boo is actually a dwarf lop! Florence is a netherland so she's a dwarf. Lottie is a Dutch but I believe she may have been crossed with a dwarf, so she's like a slightly smaller version of a Dutch and Albie is an unknown breed but he's similar in size to Lottie, so a little bigger than a dwarf - I think he might be mini rhinelander type as well

As you know all 6 of mine came from 2 dwarf lops (brother & sister eeww) and they have a big range between them. Pepe is the smallest with a small head and cosmo is the biggest with a massive head. Just goes to show that things get mixed up when breeding and its pot luck sometimes what you end up with.

mini lop and holland lop i think are the same at 2-3lb and they are dwarf size. The dwarf lop is only a dwarf compared to the french lop or english lop, which i think it might have come from. My dwarf lop adults are 1yr old this month and weight 3.3kg the babies are 6mths and weigh 2.5kg. I thought they were supposed to be small when i got them and when they kept on growing i did lots of reading lol..

Ah this makes sense :thumb:

Back