• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small lump

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby has had a little crusty type lump on his ear for a long time now, the vets have said its nothing to worry about.
However he now has another lump on the same ear, it's a different kind of lump though, not crusty and seems to be under the skin rather than on top. I'm worried! :'(

Jimby has had a little crusty type lump on his ear for a long time now, the vets have said its nothing to worry about.
However he now has another lump on the same ear, it's a different kind of lump though, not crusty and seems to be under the skin rather than on top. I'm worried! :'(

I would get the Vet to take a look. It's not possible for us to say for certain what the lump may be without being able to see/feel it. If the lump is located near the ear base it might be an abscess, but as I have said that is only a possibility, not a certainty. It could be a simple fatty lump or a cyst. Morse had a few fatty lumps on his ears when he was an older Rabbit.

Hope the Vet can reassure you :)

Sorry you've got this worry, Rachylou.

The crusty lump sounds like ear mites and maybe the other lump is related to him scratching at it? Best to let the vet see it :)

It's on the end of his ear, the other one is kind of in the middle on the outside.
I have booked them both in to the vets on Thursday but will depend if Dan can go with me.
He said we should just keep an eye on it but I refuse to do that I want to get it checked so I know what we are dealing with, I don't want to take any chances especially as he is getting 'older'.

It's on the end of his ear, the other one is kind of in the middle on the outside.
I have booked them both in to the vets on Thursday but will depend if Dan can go with me.
He said we should just keep an eye on it but I refuse to do that I want to get it checked so I know what we are dealing with, I don't want to take any chances especially as he is getting 'older'.

Very wise I think :thumb:

It sounds more like a fatty lump if it's on the end of his ear. Sometimes Lops can catch the tip of an ear and tear it. The tear heals but the healed tissue is thicker and can therefore give the impression of it being a lump.

Dan has just made me cry. He is making excuses about how he can't get the time off to take him and we will have to wait till next week but next week I could be in hospital with Chloe. He's being an ****!

Back