• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny age question for bonding

Hi, my rabbit lost his brother last week and on Saturday we went to look for another partner for him. He is a 2 years old male and we found a little girl who is just 12 weeks. Now my question can I bond them with each other or does she need to be older?

Last edited:
He stopped eating and after a stay at the vet, where an x-Ray was taken, they discovered a enlarged liver and stomach. Sadly he passed away after a couple of days.

He stopped eating and after a stay at the vet, where an x-Ray was taken, they discovered a enlarged liver and stomach. Sadly he passed away after a couple of days.

How very sad.
I am assuming that your rabbit is neutered - otherwise he would have fought with his brother - and what I would suggest is to approach a Rescue for a female companion. A lot of Rescues will bond for you and you can take your rabbit along so they can suggest possible 'good matches'. Where abouts do you live?

It's a female rabbit from the rspca and yes, he is neutered. They don't offer a bonding service; just a meeting to see if they are liking each other. I am in Rutland.

Hi, my rabbit lost his brother last week and on Saturday we went to look for another partner for him. He is a 2 years old male and we found a little girl who is just 12 weeks. Now my question can I bond them with each other or does she need to be older?

No she doesn't need to be older, but you will need to get her spayed when she is about 5 months old. This may mean a little time apart for her recovery, but if they are well loved up this should be fine :thumb:

Will the RSPCA spay her for you when the time comes?

Hi there. It is best to introduce them in a neutral area - good luck with the bond and sorry you lost a rabbit.

So sorry to hear about your bunny... :( The little bunny doesn't need to be older, but she will need to be spayed as others have said. One of my boys I'm pretty sure is a fair bit older than the rest, and he gets along just fine with everyone. He isn't quite as active as the rest but he loves snuggling with them! :)

Back