• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old Bite Wound?

cara

Alpha Buck
Have had a difficult bond which seemed to be sorted (2 weeks without incident) and then mega fur episode 30th April. It had been a serious fight. We checked both rabbits who seemed ok and thankfully by the end of the bank holiday weekend everything was, eventually, back on track. (During that weekend, it did discover a nip which we hadn't initially spotted, on Teddys back.)

My days are completely mixed up, but one day last week there was three or four tuffs of fur mid morning. But nothing untoward.

Whilst my husband has been away, I found another bite which I hadn't known about - the fur felt different but a quick look and it all looked pretty superficial. However, today I have had a chance to bring him inside to take another look and I am mortified to see what a nasty bite he has had on the side of his neck.

I think the bite is from the initial fight, over a week ago - as the fur this time round was very minimal. Also, the wound is dry and looks clean and healing. It didn't alarm him when I touched and inspected it. I just know, it has been a nasty wound.

My dilemma is that I know, had I spotted it when it happened - I would have had to take him to the vets (ironically, he has been to the vets accompanying the rabbit he is bonding to). I don't want to unnecessarily stress him going back to the vets. The pair of them are (please, touch wood!) quite settled. How do I know if it is a wound which needs attention? Would it be obvious? What do I look for? Can I monitor it?

Somebody on these forums (may be an old post I googled), did comment that bites can be so difficult to spot under all the fur :(

Any advice please?

I think the big problem with bites is that they can form abscesses and as we know they are difficult to treat in rabbits, Only you will know if you should take your rabbit to the Vets really, most small bites will be ok I would think.

How is is now? I would think if you can touch it without him seeming upset and in pain and it doesn't look infected he's fine.

Yes, it is indeed fine.

Took him to the vets who has shaved the area - she said had I took him at the time it was done, so would have glued it and given antibiotics. However, it is healing nicely so just keep eye on it. So actually it was prob a good thing I only just spotted it in some ways.

Took the opportunity to also look at his ears as he is shaking his head a little. The scrape showed nothing untoward although he does have wax in his ears.

Cost £43, which on the back of another recent visit at £43, has proved quite costly recently (not to mention a recent euthanasia). So hopefully that is the end of drama and vet visits!

Thanks for replies :)

Glad you got it sorted. Wounds are really hard to spot under bunny fluff so don't beat yourself up over it :)

Back