• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to deal with unexpected bouts of aggression

Clayton is active, curious, and strong-willed but he has these sudden bouts of aggression especially when he is being groomed or is in his enclosure which really scare me sometimes. For example, he either grunts or growls and tries to box and/or charge at me whenever I try to groom his facial area but we always get there in end. He is not as bad when he is in his enclosure though if I am cleaning out his litter tray etc since he usually goes straight into one of his hides grunting and stomping his foot. He was awake this afternoon so I decided to go over and stroke him and then he suddenly perked up with his ears very erected with what I can only describe as a surprised facial expression after a minute or so of being petted and let out this loud growl before boxing my hand (he actually grabbed my hand this time). He wasn't spooked, asleep or anything like that which is what I find strange. Clayton had the snip on the 15th of last month - would his hormones etc be settled now or not? What would you do if you had a rabbit like, Clayton, who was nice one minute and aggressive the next? I'd like some advice and help! I suspect he is somewhat territorial and I am unable to get him a new friend until a few months time which sucks.

SIDE NOTE: I always make sure he is comfortable with being stroked and so on and ignore his aggressive behaviour without reacting in any way despite my heart jumping out my chest.

Last edited:
:wave:

Hormones can take a few months to settle. A friend is definitely a good idea. I had a similar situation with my rabbit Chloe, she was extremely aggressive as a youngster. Things improved greatly once she had male company.

Hopefully its just his horomones settling, getting him a nice calm friend should help. Some rabbits never happily accept human contact though.

Some rabbits don't like humans being in their territory. I've been told off a few times for cleaning out Peanut's tray. :lol: But I would say you do potentially have another 2-4 weeks of hormones which could be at play.

Back