• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and cats ...

Helenmarie85

Warren Scout
Is it possiable for them to tolerate each other ???

The reason I ask is because yesterday evening when I took the insulation off the hutch roof, I cleaned the entire hutch out, got rid of the straw they had over winter as they really really don't like it, they just kick most out and bury the rest with the blankets and fleece they have in there. So now they just have old towels and fleece in there.
Anyway whilst I was cleaning out the hutch Rosie was hopping around the garden, Buster wouldn't come out because hes still such a pain to catch :lol:
I turned around just to double check on Rosie and our ginger lodger cat who has now become ours was introducing himself to her. She was munching on the grass not bothered at all the fact he was there. He was giving her a good sniff, sauntered off and snoozed in the sun. He didn't even move/care when she hopped past him!! I obviously would by no means leave them in the garden unattended .. he's still a cat after all. But I just thought it was bizarre how relaxed they both were with each other. I guess because he's familiar with their scent maybe as he loves to sit next to the hutch and watch them, so he wasn't excited by them??
He is a young cat. Hes not quite a year old yet.

My cats are actually scared of my rabbits! None have ever 'gone for' any of my bunnies, even when Storm has accidentally jumped on them before [emoji38] As you said I still certainly wouldn't leave them unattended together, but they are fine together while I am in the same room.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

My bunnies are always house bunnies and I have two indoor cats as well. They get along really well! Sometimes one of the cats will jump in the pen with the rabbits when they are out exploring. Of course I'm always right there supervising. My cats have never been aggressive and will even go up and sniff the bunnies. So yes, they can definitely tolerate each other and actually get along quite well! :D

My rabbits and cats are fine together if they're not in the rabbits territory. The rabbits hate the cats coming in to my bedroom where they live though (so the cats have been banned :lol: ).

I think it must depend on the personality of both cat & rabbit. My first bunny used to live free range in the house but have access the back yard via cat flap. Opposite the kitchen window (in my yard) was an old air raid shelter where I'd put a carpet topped pallet where my rabbit Angel used to like to sit. More often than not when I looked out of the kitchen window I'd see Angel sat side by side with this one cat. They were both jet black & looked so cute together. The cat would look all nonchalant & my bunny would be all fussy, asking for loves.

Oh glad they can get along!! I was so amazed at how they acted. I would never ever risk leaving him unattended with them if they were out in the garden. He may be a fat fluffy thing but he becomes very agile when he's hunting!!

I have two cats and two bunnies, all of whom share an outdoor grassed cat run, the cats 24/7 and the bunnies morning and evening ( they live in hutch and run within the cat run). Everyone coexists happily and can be left unsupervised.

One of the cats is a hunter ( within the confines of the run) and I was VERY careful with him whenthe first bunny came to stay ( the other cat shared space with her from day one). However, it soon became clear he had no predatorial interest ( if anything he was fearful initially). They'll go up to each other and have a sniff and occasionally he will gently swipe a bunny but one of the bunnies lacks respect re personal space so some establishing of boundaries seems entirely appropriate :). Mostly, they just share the space without interaction. The bunnies sometimes run for cover when he runs or jumps down from a platform but that's just prey behaviour ... once they realise it's him all is okay again.

Because they're so chilled with each other it means the bunnies get way more freedom and the run doesn't have to operate on an access rota.

Last edited:
I have a cat and a house rabbit, the cat gives the rabbit a wide berth. I would never leave them unattended. What a predator (cat/dog) does and how they act when you are around doesn't mean they are trustworthy. When wild instincts kick in the results can be disastrous :cry:

My 4 cats free range alongside my rabbit and guinea pig (they don't live together, separated via a door with a cat flap) and I have had no issues. I had to watch the kitten because she likes to "play" with the guinea pig and she could accidentally hurt him, but it worked out quite nicely that she couldn't figure out how to work the cat flap until she'd calmed down a bit anyway.

The trouble is they might seem to be ok, but the first time you realise they aren't might be too late. :cry:

Last edited:
Like Jemmabella I am also ok with my decision.. I have zero concerns re bunny safety. I guess it depends on the individual animals whether you feel they are safe in the same space ( and I view that two ways as one of the bunnies nips her partner). I am surprised at the advice to never leave cats and bunnies alone together .... Mine are largely indifferent to each other but don't some cats and bunnies become friends ?

Like Jemmabella I am also ok with my decision.. I have zero concerns re bunny safety. I guess it depends on the individual animals whether you feel they are safe in the same space ( and I view that two ways as one of the bunnies nips her partner). I am surprised at the advice to never leave cats and bunnies alone together .... Mine are largely indifferent to each other but don't some cats and bunnies become friends ?

As you say, all circumstances will be different but I have never in all my years of cat and rabbit owning had a problem with any of mine.

When Louie died, Molly kept going behind the settee looking for him :(

Back