• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age of bunnies

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
I was just wondering what is classed as old in a bunny? Bumble is 5 and a half now and Butter-Bean is 4 we think. Is Bumble classed as old now? What is classed as old?

well the RWAF had poster going around the other day I think saying a rabbit is classes as old from 5years :cry: scares me

It seems most places classify rabbits as seniors at around 5 - 6 years and older. I think Bumble is close enough to be viewed as a senior.

I have three out of four mini lops surviving, and they'll all be nine next month. Matthew died recently.
I've known of rabbits said to have reached seventeen years...

I still think of my guys who are just turned 4 (and pops who is about a year older-ish well maybe her previous owner wasn't sure of her age :? ) as young as I think of buns as a 8-10 year commitment. Meaning they are just about middle aged.

But at the same time I have never had a bun live beyond 6... So maybe I'm being too hopeful!

I still think of my guys who are just turned 4 (and pops who is about a year older-ish well maybe her previous owner wasn't sure of her age :? ) as young as I think of buns as a 8-10 year commitment. Meaning they are just about middle aged.

But at the same time I have never had a bun live beyond 6... So maybe I'm being too hopeful!

I still think of mine as 'I've still got them for another 10 years', but Leo is 11, Lola will be 5 soon, Donny is 5 and Charley is 4-5 so that's not as realistic as it used to be :( Although I'm pretty sure Leo is going to live forever :lol: he's been bouncing back from all sorts recently :lol:

Has anyone else noticed their bunnies start to slow down at 6+ years old? Mine started to become much more lazy :lol:

Matthew slowed down for a year before he died. Not lazy, but slower to bounce over for some food (though he always ate well when he got there), more likely to be caught dozing than when he was younger, that kind of thing. Haven't noticed that in the others so much.

My oldest was Sooty, she was 8.

I haven't had much luck with rabbits :( Simba and Tinkerbell were both 3 and Louie was 5 :(

My Jack was 10 when I lost him. He did slow down a bit in his last years and 6 months before he died you could tell he was old and a bit wobbly. He was the runt of a litter, a unwanted pet at a year old who looked a bit worse for wear when I got him. He had a serious blockage and had to have an op at 7 (the brilliant Frances H-B saved him) and bounced right back after that - I think he did brilliantly. I don't even know how old Benny and Ruby are. The rescue were pretty sure he was about a year. Ruby was found in a box abandoned so no idea at all about her.

My oldest current rabbit is 13. He is amazing. He still bullies his wifie bun at feeding time. He has a serious case of food envy.
I rescued him when he was 5wks old he was very ill (snuffles). Since then he has not been ill for a day. I want him to live forever ;-).

My oldest current rabbit is 13. He is amazing. He still bullies his wifie bun at feeding time. He has a serious case of food envy.
I rescued him when he was 5wks old he was very ill (snuffles). Since then he has not been ill for a day. I want him to live forever ;-).

that is lovely :love:

Yes, especially when they've been around for so long, and shared life experiences, it's hard to imagine carrying on without them, isn't it?

Mine is only 3.5 months, which is equivalent to 11 yrs old. I found a chart online, but don't know how to add a picture without a URL. Is there another way?

Chart says:
2 weeks~ 2 years
3 weeks~ 4 years
4 weeks~ 6 years
2 months~ 8 years
3 months~ 10 years
4 months~ 12 years
5 months~ 14 years
6 months~ 16 years
1 year~ 21 years
2 years~ 27 years
3 years~ 33 years
4 years~ 39 years
5 years~ 45 years
6 years~ 51 years
7 years~ 57 years
8 years~ 63 years
9 years~ 69 years
10 years~ 75 years

Rose and Shadow are 7 at then end of the year and I think of them as middle aged.
Claudia and Demond are 8 and 9 so getting on a bit although both are very active.
The fluffs are mere teenagers by comparison

My Bobo is turning 5 this year - which technically would make him middle aged I guess. But looking at that chart - a 5 year old rabbit = 45 year old human - I am 45 and there is no way I am middle aged
:lol::lol::lol: - so Bobo is still a 'youngster' at heart :D

Back