• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ice packs

As Biscuit and Willow are housed outside I am going to wrap an ice bottle or two in a tea towel and place them outside so that they can lay against them and keep cool. This is my first Spring/Summer with bunnies though as I got them in September so I'm unsure at what sort of temperature I should start doing this?

I should also add that they do have lots of shade (but 75% of their enclosure is shade) so this also helps to protect them from the heat too.

Excellent, thank you [emoji4]

Edit: Just had a look and there are a couple of questions that I have. The first is regarding the use of a fan, my garden is very long and they are too far away for a fan to reach them, does it matter too much if they don't have a fan but have lots of bottles of frozen water instead? Also, they despise being picked up or touched so I have to 'chase' them to catch them which will obviously make them very hot. Is it worth trying to catch them to mist their ears and brush them or will this just make them hotter and more likely to suffer heat stroke than if I had of left them?

Last edited:
This is my first Spring/Summer with bunnies though as I got them in September so I'm unsure at what sort of temperature I should start doing this?
I'd start when they 'look' hot: lying down rather than loafing to sleep (in the coolest place), moving around uncomfortably, hot ears... I'm considering doing it now for poor Lopsy has he's still got half a winter coat :( I'd say if YOU feel hot, they'll be hot, but then I'm sat here in shorts and tshirt thinking today is a lovely temperature in Nottingham and wishing it wouldn't rise over the weekend! :D Bunnies will be as subjective as people I expect.

I'd start when they 'look' hot: lying down rather than loafing to sleep (in the coolest place), moving around uncomfortably, hot ears... I'm considering doing it now for poor Lopsy has he's still got half a winter coat :( I'd say if YOU feel hot, they'll be hot, but then I'm sat here in shorts and tshirt thinking today is a lovely temperature in Nottingham and wishing it wouldn't rise over the weekend! :D Bunnies will be as subjective as people I expect.
I have noticed Biscuit has been laying down a lot more often today than usual, however the majority of the time he has been laying down in the sun, so could he just be enjoying the heat rather than getting hot?

Back