• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange noises

Theo

Warren Scout
Last night I noticed Bluebell was making a strange wheezing/squeaking noise when she was sat next to me on the sofa but it was only every now and again. She's just been eating hay and sounding like she was gulping air (hard to describe). Now she's led down and looks like she has hiccups. She's eating, pooing and acting as normal besides the noises...should I be concerned?

Last night I noticed Bluebell was making a strange wheezing/squeaking noise when she was sat next to me on the sofa but it was only every now and again. She's just been eating hay and sounding like she was gulping air (hard to describe). Now she's led down and looks like she has hiccups. She's eating, pooing and acting as normal besides the noises...should I be concerned?

Personally I would want her examined by a Rabbit savvy Vet. The symptoms you are describing might (and I emphasise the word 'might') be indicative of something going on in her chest/respiratory tract.

A Rabbit Savvy Vet should thoroughly examine Bluebell, listening carefully to her heart and lungs, checking for any signs of upper respiratory tract problems, examining her abdomen and noting her respiratory rate/effort.

Most Rabbit Savvy Vets will usually take a look at the Rabbits teeth too, even if the presenting symptoms do not obviously point towards dental problems.

Personally I would want her examined by a Rabbit savvy Vet. The symptoms you are describing might (and I emphasise the word 'might') be indicative of something going on in her chest/respiratory tract.

A Rabbit Savvy Vet should thoroughly examine Bluebell, listening carefully to her heart and lungs, checking for any signs of upper respiratory tract problems, examining her abdomen and noting her respiratory rate/effort.

Most Rabbit Savvy Vets will usually take a look at the Rabbits teeth too, even if the presenting symptoms do not obviously point towards dental problems.

Thanks for your reply! She had a health check about 6 weeks ago when I got her so wouldn't something have been picked up then? She has since had a spay and vaccinations with a check over each time. Her teeth were fine. I'll keep an eye on her - just though...she's on a different brand of hay so maybe that could be the cause?

Thanks for your reply! She had a health check about 6 weeks ago when I got her so wouldn't something have been picked up then? She has since had a spay and vaccinations with a check over each time. Her teeth were fine. I'll keep an eye on her - just though...she's on a different brand of hay so maybe that could be the cause?

If a 'symptom' that has only just developed (as I assume to be the case) then any cause would not necessarily be evident 6 weeks ago.

Yes, some Rabbits can have allergies and some types of hay/ hay dust can cause irritation to the respiratory tract. But you also mentioned the 'hiccuping' and if that were an ongoing issue, in conjunction with the noisy breathing I would still want a Vet to examine her.

If the 'hiccuping' was just a one off thing and completely unrelated to the noisy breathing then maybe the new hay may be causing an allergic reaction :)

Hi Theo

I would keep a close eye or in this case ear, at the moment. It could be a precursor to gut slowdown, but not necessarily.

I sometimes have rabbits who have one off hiccups, but more than that probably needs investigating

Last edited:
She hasn't made any strange noises this afternoon but here's a video of what I mean about the 'hiccups'

She hasn't made any strange noises this afternoon but here's a video of what I mean about the 'hiccups'

If the 'hiccuping' is happening a lot- ie not just a one off, or only happening very occasionally then it is abnormal. Especially if it is happening daily/several times a day. As previously stated, personally I would want to consult a Vet.

Back