• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing for 4?

TickTock

Alpha Buck
Long time so see guys!

Life had been very difficult since I last posted here: My grandmother went downhill suddenly and I became a 24 hour carer. She died late last year and it's taken until now to get things sorted. Due to the terms of her will her house is to be sold and I am to receive a bit of money to outright buy my own home. Since London is so expensive and we couldn't possibly keep 10 rabbits in a flat, we are looking to move to either Wellingborough or Kettering! (anyone in the area? :lol: ) Since the house is sold, we are house hunting. I'm due to move fairly soon (20th June) and rush looking at no chain houses.

Anyway the point of this is I was wondering what's the minimum size space for 4 rabbits about 2.5-2 kg? (we have two groups of 4 and a group of 2) I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford set ups like they currently have so I just want to check before buying a house and then finding out I should of gone for one with a bigger garden!

edit: looking at my signature reminds me: we lost Puffy,An and Opal in the last year as well as our Little hammy :C But we gained alop called Marble. I need to update that C:

Last edited:
sorry i dony know the correct size for 4. I have two lots of fours but i have them inside, they have a big n shape out of hutches, 6ft double, 5ft double and 7ft all joined together. one set of 4 has top and the other has bottom. They dont stay in them though so if i had to move them outside and had the room it would be sheds and runs.

I don't think there is any official rule on how big it'd need to be but personally if I was going for a hutch I'd go for at least 7 x 3 x 3 (preferably 8 x 3 x 3) or I'd really prefer a shed setup with a floor space of like 8 x 4. Then I'd want the run to be at least 8 x 6 ft (recommended minimum), preferably as big as possible but at least 8 x 8 or 10 x 6. Preferably 3ft high too as with the extra bunnies I think they'd appreciate the extra height.

I feel like the cheapest way to do this would be a shed which you split into sections inside with aviary panels or run panels (as long as they're 4 or 5ft tall). A 10 x 12ft shed on eBay seems to go for around £600... I'd probably take 2ft off the 10ft length for a little 2ft corridor/storage area, then split the 12ft in to 3 sections which would all be 8 x 4ft. Then have the runs coming off the back, again probably built as one unit but split inside. I reckon you could do it all for £1000, £1200 max really which is pretty good for 10 bunnies.

Thanks very much guys! Really it's not so much the price I'm worried about ( although less expense is always better) but more the amount of land needed for two groups of 4 ( and a group of 2)

As I said I don't want to buy a house and figure out that I should of gone for a bigger garden!

Are your rabbits in sheds at the moment? I would suggest a big shed for a group of 4. And a few hours in the garden/run during the day or whenever your at home to supervise them! Just make sure there is enough room for them too lay down and stretch out, hop 3 times across and stand up without bumping their heads! Hope this helped x

I don't think four would need much more space than 2, personally. That said, I'd always go for the biggest I could fit in.

Corby (near Kettering) tend to have pretty big gardens. My brother lives in that area.

I'd say go for the biggest garden you can find. Shed / run combo would be your best bet and easier to build/split up etc

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back