• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes!

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Knowing that foxes come into the garden regularly now i need to make it fox proof!

I have this run
http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=622
Not sure what the size is now.
Obviously padlock the doors so foxes can't get in that way but would i need to put bricks on the roof to make it heavier? Or bricks maybe around the base so it less likely to be tipped over.
Thinking of also purchasing a runaround connection kit which i assume is also fox proof so if a fox does try to get into the run the bunny can run back to the hutch.

What measurement would i have to do to the hutch, it has those thick metal bars and not mesh.

I can't make the run permanently fox proof as we are moving house this year:thumb:

Honestly? I'd ditch the run and buy another one. I don't think it's possible to make one of those properly fox proof as they're constructed like a deck of cards and even if the whole thing is solid, a fox could just pick it up with its teeth and throw it over really easily, bricks won't stop a fox. Just imagine if you were to take a flying leap and jump onto the fun, the whole thing would fall to the ground. There are also risks of bunnies getting their heads stuck between the bars (there's a thread about it somewhere on here). I'd suggest going for something heavy and wooden with minimum 19g (preferably 16g) mesh, that will be much safer.

I have to agree with the above - those types of runs are not very secure. If you absolutely cannot replace it then you need to bolt it down to a solid base and I would also add weldmesh to every side and the top so that a fox couldn't get paws through the large gaps. Make sure the bunnies have an enclosed box to hide in within the run. You're doing the right thing by padlocking the doors.

I would not risk leaving rabbits in this unsupervised. Wooden runs are so much more stable/safe.

Can you not keep your rabbits indoors until you move to a garden which hopefully doesn't have foxes coming in.

Back