• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

chloe60

Young Bun
Hi guys.. my little boy is getting neutered next thursday (which im extremely nervous about... can anyone give me any tips to keep him comfortable and make sure he heals well.

9df2a7e631a78576dc4b1b6602ad7138.jpg

Also, in a few weeks im gett my little girl, Meg, and want to know how i could help her during her healing process since the operation is bigger. I wont be getting her done til august though since she will be 8 weeks when i get her.
b950bf6172a7bfa0b4f125b2315d46fa.jpg

Also can anyone just ease my mind about the procedure as im very nervous for both of them. Thankyou x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

What a gorgeous little boy! Neutering male bunnies is normally a straightforward operation and they recover very quickly. Make sure his hutch is cleaned out well for when he comes home with nothing to jump on for a few days. Most boys eat fairly quickly and the Vet should give you some Metacam for a couple of days post neuter. It's a good idea to check the wound in the following morning, if he is easy to handle, to make sure there isn't any swelling and keep him quiet for 2 or 3 days.

aww they are beautiful. ive had all 8 of my buns done. 4 boys and 4 girls. the boys do bounce back quicker as tonibun has said, some good advise given xx calm, clean and quiet that was my thinking.

Hes a beautiful little boy.. very easy to handle... not so good with medicines... not looking forward to it what so ever!! Hes also got his own little room that Meg will be joining once shes all sorted and theyre bonded and stuff!
f2b5a027ffb402fb5c44a8964393b6b0.jpg

544c633a2b587c029cc3b6e0a5cdcdc2.jpg

e20d20a3757cd13d55280308378d56d8.jpg

Its my first bun being neutered.. and having two at the same time! Very nervous but excited as i think Jetti needs a girlfriend haha x

When Milo was neutered it was recommended that I remove anything from his hutch that might irritate his wound so instead of bedding/sawdust/straw we put down towels. We bought cheap white ones so we could tell if there was any bleeding etc.
Make sure you've got some of his favourite food in as we had to use Milo's faves to encourage him to eat. That can also be helpful with medicine. The only way we can get Milo to take pain relief meds is by smothering the syringe in banana ;)
And then I guess just try not to panic. I know its easier said than done because I was an absolute mess. But I definitely think that Milo feeds on my panic and gets agitated!
xx

Instead of putting hay in the litter trays after River was spayed I used puppy pads in there and had the hay in a rack so it didn't irritate her wound. She healed really beautifully and had no issues at all. Make sure they give you Metacam to take home for a few days :wave:

Thankyou! The puppy pads is a good idea! Shal i just put down throws and cushions to make him comfortable???

Back