• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crash Bunny is sicker

Shayne_

Warren Scout
Feeling rather stressed and worried about Crash Bunny.

He has been on baytril twice a day for 3 weeks for pasteurella flare up, sneezing and snotting, however otherwise hyper bouncy into everything and anything and eats like a horse!

Yesterday i took him back and hes been given septrin 1ml twice a day and metacam 0.5ml twice a day, aswell as a mucolytic Bisolven a teeny pinch twice a day.

She said its likely this will be a lifelong ongoing thing, that its not treatable but manageable etc which i already knew, but she brought up questions of whether if this course (2weeks) doesnt work whether ill carry or PTS....... I was like.. PTS?? other than snotting he is more than ok, so now im worried im not thinking straight and he really is sicker than i think he is and ... what to do. After losing Wally im so worried ill lose his brother now too.

also, the receptionist mentioned using Vicks, putting it into a bowl and covering cage overnight so help.. im worried about doing so, never have before, does anyone have experiance doing this?

thank you

He has been on baytril twice a day for 3 weeks for pasteurella flare up, sneezing and snotting, however otherwise hyper bouncy into everything and anything and eats like a horse!

Yesterday i took him back and hes been given septrin 1ml twice a day and metacam 0.5ml twice a day, aswell as a mucolytic Bisolven a teeny pinch twice a day.

She said its likely this will be a lifelong ongoing thing, that its not treatable but manageable etc which i already knew, but she brought up questions of whether if this course (2weeks) doesnt work whether ill carry or PTS....... I was like.. PTS?? other than snotting he is more than ok, so now im worried im not thinking straight and he really is sicker than i think he is and ... what to do. After losing Wally im so worried ill lose his brother now too.

also, the receptionist mentioned using Vicks, putting it into a bowl and covering cage overnight so help.. im worried about doing so, never have before, does anyone have experiance doing this?

thank you

I would not even think of PTS at such an early stage and when Crash is so well within himself ! I have had several Rabbits with chronic/recurrent RTIs and they all lived for years, the oldest being 9-10 and she had her first RTI before the age of 1.

I am wondering if maybe your Vet is not 'Rabbit Savvy' ? Or perhaps she was simply being mindful of the fact that not all Rabbit owners are willing to/able to continue to fund ongoing treatment for a chronic condition. After all Vets often get a bad press for 'ripping clients off' so maybe the Vet just wanted to put all the options on the table so-to-speak.

As for the Vick, personally I would not use it as it can be too powerful for the very sensitive nose of a Rabbit. Steam inhalations may be useful, but I do not use anything like Vick/Olbas Oil for Rabbits.

If you are having doubts about how Rabbit Savvy your Vet is you could post a thread in Rabbit Chat on here asking for Rabbit Savvy Vet recommendations in your area.

Good luck x

thank you

That sounds like a good protocol he is on, and if it were me, I would be horrified by talk of PTS at this stage as well!

If the vet sounded his lungs and there was no congestion there, and he's well in himself, then I doubt he is sicker than you imagine. Vets have different ways of approaching rabbits, especially as they get very little training about how to deal with them. But make it clear to the vet that you are not giving up on this little fellow, and his quality of life with you is good and will remain so :D

I wouldn't use the Vicks, but then I don't tend to use chemicals in general on or around rabbits if I can help it. The Bisolven is doing what the Vicks would do without the pungent smell for your bunny :)

I would not even think of PTS at such an early stage and when Crash is so well within himself ! I have had several Rabbits with chronic/recurrent RTIs and they all lived for years, the oldest being 9-10 and she had her first RTI before the age of 1.

I am wondering if maybe your Vet is not 'Rabbit Savvy' ? Or perhaps she was simply being mindful of the fact that not all Rabbit owners are willing to/able to continue to fund ongoing treatment for a chronic condition. After all Vets often get a bad press for 'ripping clients off' so maybe the Vet just wanted to put all the options on the table so-to-speak.

As for the Vick, personally I would not use it as it can be too powerful for the very sensitive nose of a Rabbit. Steam inhalations may be useful, but I do not use anything like Vick/Olbas Oil for Rabbits.

If you are having doubts about how Rabbit Savvy your Vet is you could post a thread in Rabbit Chat on here asking for Rabbit Savvy Vet recommendations in your area.

Good luck x

That sounds like a good protocol he is on, and if it were me, I would be horrified by talk of PTS at this stage as well!

If the vet sounded his lungs and there was no congestion there, and he's well in himself, then I doubt he is sicker than you imagine. Vets have different ways of approaching rabbits, especially as they get very little training about how to deal with them. But make it clear to the vet that you are not giving up on this little fellow, and his quality of life with you is good and will remain so :D

I wouldn't use the Vicks, but then I don't tend to use chemicals in general on or around rabbits if I can help it. The Bisolven is doing what the Vicks would do without the pungent smell for your bunny :)

Thank you so much for replying and... PTS? god no, hes absolutely off his rocker happy, if anything his binky antics and constant wanting attention is driving me up the wall, hes started circling me like crazy and.. i cant even get him neutured yet because hes sick so.. idk what to do about that bit but hes not aggresive or biting (never has) so not a priority right now. But yeah, hes one hell of a happy bunny.

She did feel congestion but only a little and noted about the snot and wet nose, but hes put on weight, 100g in 2 weeks, hes otherwise healthy. I couldnt believe she mentioned PTS when discuss long term medication and care.. she even mentioned that i could ask to swap Crash for a new bunny that got him from..I think my face said it all. No chance, hes my responsibility and love him so much already, i cant just trade him for a better model like a car... :roll::roll:

I wont bother with the Vix, im glad i didnt do as mentioned, i cant stand Vix its so strong myself i can only iimagine how much it would bother Crash. Ill try normal steam and see how he does with that.

Im going to look into seeing a better savvy vet if this does continue and the current vet does the same, even if just for a second opinion on long term meds etc.

thank you for all the advice and sorry for waffling on a bit there lol

Thank you so much for replying and... PTS? god no, hes absolutely off his rocker happy, if anything his binky antics and constant wanting attention is driving me up the wall, hes started circling me like crazy and.. i cant even get him neutured yet because hes sick so.. idk what to do about that bit but hes not aggresive or biting (never has) so not a priority right now. But yeah, hes one hell of a happy bunny.

She did feel congestion but only a little and noted about the snot and wet nose, but hes put on weight, 100g in 2 weeks, hes otherwise healthy. I couldnt believe she mentioned PTS when discuss long term medication and care.. she even mentioned that i could ask to swap Crash for a new bunny that got him from..I think my face said it all. No chance, hes my responsibility and love him so much already, i cant just trade him for a better model like a car... :roll::roll:

I wont bother with the Vix, im glad i didnt do as mentioned, i cant stand Vix its so strong myself i can only iimagine how much it would bother Crash. Ill try normal steam and see how he does with that.

Im going to look into seeing a better savvy vet if this does continue and the current vet does the same, even if just for a second opinion on long term meds etc.

thank you for all the advice and sorry for waffling on a bit there lol

Waffle away any time, Crash bunny is important :D

Thinking about the fact he has a bit of congestion, would you consider using echinacea to boost his immune system?

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

... might just help tip the balance and can't do any harm. Check with your vet if unsure :thumb:

I can't believe your vet suggested swapping him. I'm afraid I would just as soon swap my vet :lol:

Waffle away any time, Crash bunny is important :D

Thinking about the fact he has a bit of congestion, would you consider using echinacea to boost his immune system?

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

... might just help tip the balance and can't do any harm. Check with your vet if unsure :thumb:

I can't believe your vet suggested swapping him. I'm afraid I would just as soon swap my vet :lol:

I did see that and look into it but i wasnt sure on which to get from soooo many options! thank you for the link, now i know which it is ill get some.

how much do you use? just a drop in his water? he uses a dish not bottle but ... he actually will take pretty much anything including water from a syringe, so idk if that would be easier but it depends on how much the ratio to water is...

I trained him to come to me by his name and he sits on back legs begging for syringe which he just accept squirted into his mouth... convinced him its amazing with the carrot elle babyfood which is... the best thing in the world to him. In the past with sick buns ive always hated having to force meds so ive been working hard to make him easy, which is working out great seeing as hes on meds so much atm, so quick and easy.

Id sooner change vets too, i mean... i get it, many would.... having got 2 baby buns, one dying, the other sick and chronic long term .... simply... given up and traded for a pretty model with no problems.. but no chance, im not that type of person and tbh they both came to me sick the rest of that litter is probably sick too inc parents.. no way swapping my little man lol!

Last edited:
When we first had Milo he had a respiratory infection and was exactly the same. His normal self but snotty and sneezy. We never used vics but we did spend some time with him in the bathroom with the shower on. That and anti-inflammatory meds seemed to help bring Milo round :)

I did see that and look into it but i wasnt sure on which to get from soooo many options! thank you for the link, now i know which it is ill get some.

how much do you use? just a drop in his water? he uses a dish not bottle but ... he actually will take pretty much anything including water from a syringe, so idk if that would be easier but it depends on how much the ratio to water is...

I trained him to come to me by his name and he sits on back legs begging for syringe which he just accept squirted into his mouth... convinced him its amazing with the carrot elle babyfood which is... the best thing in the world to him. In the past with sick buns ive always hated having to force meds so ive been working hard to make him easy, which is working out great seeing as hes on meds so much atm, so quick and easy.

Id sooner change vets too, i mean... i get it, many would.... having got 2 baby buns, one dying, the other sick and chronic long term .... simply... given up and traded for a pretty model with no problems.. but no chance, im not that type of person and tbh they both came to me sick the rest of that litter is probably sick too inc parents.. no way swapping my little man lol!

I use a good echinacea out of a capsule and get them from the states, but the herbal liquid you can add 2/3 drops to a syringe of water and give 3 times a day for three weeks. Good to have a week or two break, and then you can repeat.

There are other immune boosters too, which can work more strongly, but best to begin with echinacea. If you need to check with your vet it's OK, please do. Some people can be quite cautious when it comes to anything not 'conventional' .. although echinacea's been around for eons :D

Back