• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Do any of you foster bunnies?

I have had bunnies in the past however am now looking into fostering. I think it would be a great opportunity to care for a bunny and understand the responsibilities but without worrying about breaking the bank! I know this may sound selfish to a few of you but i can not afford to have rabbits of my own, in the past i loved caring for them but found money tight.

How does fostering work?
I am 15 years old turning 16 this year and would this be a big issue and any tips on persuading the rescue that i can care for rabbits. Like i said before i have experience with rabbits and understand their needs.

Do any of you foster bunnies?

I have had bunnies in the past however am now looking into fostering. I think it would be a great opportunity to care for a bunny and understand the responsibilities but without worrying about breaking the bank! I know this may sound selfish to a few of you but i can not afford to have rabbits of my own, in the past i loved caring for them but found money tight.

How does fostering work?
I am 15 years old turning 16 this year and would this be a big issue and any tips on persuading the rescue that i can care for rabbits. Like i said before i have experience with rabbits and understand their needs.

I love fostering rabbits, but you do need a fair amount of experience to know what to look for if there are problems. You should contact the rescue you're thinking of working with and ask about their minimum age for fosterers. Also, you will have to be vetted and sort out accommodation with the Rescue (i.e. who will provide it).

Good luck, it's a very rewarding path to travel :wave:

I've fostered animals before as I used to work in a rescue, I've looked after a guinea pig, 2 litters of very tiny kittens that needed hand feeding every few hours and a bunny who needed some extra tlc whilst recovering from her spay... It is hugely rewarding although I'll admit I didn't give the rabbit back! I formally adopted her instead!

I am most proud of the little piggy, she was very ill and despite lots of vet care just was not improving, we had a barn for the guinea pigs at work which kept them sheltered and warmer than outside but we were sure this little girl wasn't going to make it so I brought her home for some warmth and tlc in her 'final' days.... A couple of months later I took her back to be bonded with another little pig and go off to her new home happy and healthy! :love:

Due to your age a rescue would need your parents involvement I think, it would probably have to be them who take responsibility for their well being even if it is you doing the caring. Often rescues don't provide the cages or runs so you would probably need a set up of your own and if the buns are available for adoption you would either need to be able to take them back to the rescue for viewings or be happy to let people visit your home to meet them. It is also really hard to form a bond with an animal and then give it back, I was thrilled when the little piggy got a home, I cried when the kittens went back and I kept the rabbit. It can be tough!

Those problems aren't too difficult to overcome though and fostering can be hugely rewarding. Some rescues may even have rabbits that are available only as fosters, normally that will be a rabbit with ongoing health issues that the feel can not be rehomed but can live a long and happy life with a fosterer with the rescue retaining responsibility for the vet care.

Or you struggle to make any of that work would you consider volunteering at a rescue?

I've fostered animals before as I used to work in a rescue, I've looked after a guinea pig, 2 litters of very tiny kittens that needed hand feeding every few hours and a bunny who needed some extra tlc whilst recovering from her spay... It is hugely rewarding although I'll admit I didn't give the rabbit back! I formally adopted her instead!

I am most proud of the little piggy, she was very ill and despite lots of vet care just was not improving, we had a barn for the guinea pigs at work which kept them sheltered and warmer than outside but we were sure this little girl wasn't going to make it so I brought her home for some warmth and tlc in her 'final' days.... A couple of months later I took her back to be bonded with another little pig and go off to her new home happy and healthy! :love:

Due to your age a rescue would need your parents involvement I think, it would probably have to be them who take responsibility for their well being even if it is you doing the caring. Often rescues don't provide the cages or runs so you would probably need a set up of your own and if the buns are available for adoption you would either need to be able to take them back to the rescue for viewings or be happy to let people visit your home to meet them. It is also really hard to form a bond with an animal and then give it back, I was thrilled when the little piggy got a home, I cried when the kittens went back and I kept the rabbit. It can be tough!

Those problems aren't too difficult to overcome though and fostering can be hugely rewarding. Some rescues may even have rabbits that are available only as fosters, normally that will be a rabbit with ongoing health issues that the feel can not be rehomed but can live a long and happy life with a fosterer with the rescue retaining responsibility for the vet care.

Or you struggle to make any of that work would you consider volunteering at a rescue?

For my D of E at school (duke of Edinburgh) you have to about 3-6 months of volunteering and most rescues you have to be 16 to volunteer, definitely will give it a go though!

I currently foster rabbits for a local rescue - partly for financial reasons like you, I wanted more rabbits but wasn't sure about the long term commitment money wise. I love it, it's good to see the different personalities and great to see the bunnies finding a forever home.

I think with your age you might need a parent to get involved too, my daughter is 17 but it's me who has signed the foster agreement and the rabbits are my responsibility at the end of the day - she helps out a bit but could do more! The charity provided a hutch and run for me as I didn't have an outdoor setup although I am now considering converting my shed and I have already built a run that attaches to hutch to give the bunnies 24/7 access. There may also be other volunteering opportunities at your local rescue if fostering doesn't suit.

Back