• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Not Eating or Pooping?

cara

Alpha Buck
"Temperature went down to 36, sugar levels went down too. So hes not eating. Took him to the vet and gave him drip, injection with glucose and antibiotics. Shes suspecting he has an infection"

"Toilet no... Not yet.. Hes not eating and he has just started drinking. Im not sure wat the antibiotic was as its in the form of injection which the vet gave him. Im going to force feed him tonite if i see that he isnt yet eating. Ive put some of his fave food in the cage. Banana, celery, apple and a bit of basil but all still there.. I can see hes not happy so he might be indiscomfort".

Posting on behalf of someone else - another country .. any advice please?

The rabbit needs pain relief and a gut stimulant from the vet, which isn't explicitly mentioned. It's a good sign that the bunny has started drinking, as fluids can stimulate the gut.

"Temperature went down to 36, sugar levels went down too. So hes not eating. Took him to the vet and gave him drip, injection with glucose and antibiotics. Shes suspecting he has an infection"

"Toilet no... Not yet.. Hes not eating and he has just started drinking. Im not sure wat the antibiotic was as its in the form of injection which the vet gave him. Im going to force feed him tonite if i see that he isnt yet eating. Ive put some of his fave food in the cage. Banana, celery, apple and a bit of basil but all still there.. I can see hes not happy so he might be indiscomfort".

Pain relief is almost certainly needed, prokinetics too

What made the Vet suspect an infection ?

How long was the Rabbit anorexic PRIOR to seeking Veterinary attention ?

Any previous history which may be relevent, eg Dental problems, previous GI tract problems ?

Is it not possible for the Rabbit to be hosptalised for intensive care- ie IV fluids/meds, heat therapy, syringe feeds, diagnostics (full blood profile) ?

Sorry to hear this cara. A low temperature can be an indication of a blockage - do you know whether the vet has ruled this out?

You don't mention pain relief? Essential if he's in discomfort. Do you know how old he is?

I have sent the person with the poorly rabbit, the link to this thread and suggested she register and post. She could not find a better source of help :) if I am given any more relevant information, I shall post back.

Thanks for advice so far :)

I have sent the person with the poorly rabbit, the link to this thread and suggested she register and post. She could not find a better source of help :) if I am given any more relevant information, I shall post back.

Thanks for advice so far :)

Wishing lots of luck xx

"The vet said its an infection but did not give me a specific answer.
I got the rabbit to the vet as soon as i realised the problem.
He had very slight head tilt in november and i m still giving him panacur as a prevention/ treatment
I am force feeding the rabbit with his favourite treats and hes responding a bit.

Sorry karen but i do not know what the "spell" part in the thread means and so i cant register"

Not sure what she means by Spell part to register?

I may have it completely wrong but I thought you shouldn't force feed a rabbit when there is no poo output? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I may have it completely wrong but I thought you shouldn't force feed a rabbit when there is no poo output? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I wouldn't. I would be giving fluids only.

As for the 'spell' part - do you have to spell something when registering, in an attempt to weed out the spammers? Just a thought.

As for the 'spell' part - do you have to spell something when registering, in an attempt to weed out the spammers? Just a thought.

Ah, that's probably her stumbling block - may be if English is not a first language, it might a bit confusing at the stage of the registering process. I am sure she can still read the replies hopefully.

Her latest update indicates a bit of progress, so hopefully the rabbit has turned a corner. Still back at the vets tomorrow though. Thanks for replies :)

I agree with Jane that your bunny needs pain medication. Pain can keep the bunny from eating and drinking.
Also, you mentioned the vet put your bunny on a drip. If your bunny does not start drinking on his own, you should keep him hydrated by syringing water into his mouth a little at a time.

Sending you positive vibes that your bunny improves.

Back