• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Severe sudden loss of fur

Hi everyone
I have a huge problem with fur loss on one of our rabbits and now it seems to be starting on the other one.
Link to pictures of problem

I hope someone can help here, I will try and give as much info as I can remember.

Fist, before i give the history, we had the rabbit at the vet and they did a biopsy. It showed no sign of cancer or mites, just massive skin irritation. He is still active and eating and it does not look like it is itchy as he is not scratching any of the affected areas. The rabbit is very old, moving to 13 years now but does not have a history of skin problems at all, in general he has been a very healthy one compared to the others.

So, the background.
They used to be house rabbits but after we moved to a bigger house they had full run of the yard (fenced). They still have access to the house but over time they showed a preference to be outside and it came to a point where I moved all their food etc out since they hardly come in anymore. This one specifically has the whole front yard to himself (he is old and the others fight with him) and he has made a various little hideouts for himself. This was the situation for about 2 years with no problems.

This past December we went on holiday for two weeks and I did not want to put them in small cages again after they were used to running free so I built free standing walk in cages using old pallets (untreated).
20160430_150348.jpg
At this point I was running out of time and we left before I could treat the wood with any chemicals for waterproofing and mildew.

After we came back I noticed a brownish stain on some parts of his fur, especially around the thick hair of the neck and sides but since it looked like dirt stains I thought he was just digging again somewhere.

A few weeks later I saw it is still there so I wanted to brush him and at this stage I discovered it is some kind of excretion and that his hole body was full of this scab like bits and that the hair on those parts are completely loose.

To explain what it looks like. Halfway up the hair there is a crust that makes everything clump together in small clumps. This is either yellowish or brownish and causes the staining I mention earlier. Imagine when you get a carpet burn and that clearish liquid that comes out scabs over your hair..that is pretty much what it looks like (sorry about the image). On the skin itself it looks like the top layer of skin forms a dry scab and then just comes off, together with the hair. Underneath is healthy pink skin but with no hair. On the scab itself the skin looks flaky like covered in dandruff.

In some cases I could see that infection formed under the scab but it looks like this could have been due to moistness (it was the rainy season). I also have a suspicion this is where the discoloration comes from. That was treated and is cleared up but the scabbing continues.
At this point I assumed it was because he is so old and his immune system is just losing the fight against some allergy but this morning I found a similar small patch on one of the others so I am back to square one. The old one is now covered completely in scabs and tufts of clumpy hair on his body and face, everywhere except the underside (tummy and chest).

Now, in terms of finding the smoking gun, here are the facts.
It seems to have started after I moved them to the new cages. The cages have in the meantime been treated with a creosite based treatment on the outside, I left the inside raw wood.

I found some mildew under their blankets meaning there was some moisture that came in with the rain and the inside has been damp. I did check however and none of it has seeped up to the point where the rabbits would be wet but the wood has been damp for a while. I packed the floor and walls of each enclosure with a few layers of blanket because the winter is approaching here.

No change in food, snacks or environment.
Litter is still the same as always
No sign of rats or mice near their cages or food
Bought some slabs of grass to cover the ground in the cages when I built it.
Occasionally I cover the bottom of the cage with cut grass after mowing the lawn
The rabbits are housed individually, each have their own cage as they are all male and fight when they are caged together.
Each rabbit runs outside the cages for about 12 hours a day, most of the time they are only in there at night

Has anyone else experienced this? I am at wits end now that the other one is showing the same signs

Hi everyone
I have a huge problem with fur loss on one of our rabbits and now it seems to be starting on the other one.
Link to pictures of problem

I hope someone can help here, I will try and give as much info as I can remember.

Fist, before i give the history, we had the rabbit at the vet and they did a biopsy. It showed no sign of cancer or mites, just massive skin irritation. He is still active and eating and it does not look like it is itchy as he is not scratching any of the affected areas. The rabbit is very old, moving to 13 years now but does not have a history of skin problems at all, in general he has been a very healthy one compared to the others.

So, the background.
They used to be house rabbits but after we moved to a bigger house they had full run of the yard (fenced). They still have access to the house but over time they showed a preference to be outside and it came to a point where I moved all their food etc out since they hardly come in anymore. This one specifically has the whole front yard to himself (he is old and the others fight with him) and he has made a various little hideouts for himself. This was the situation for about 2 years with no problems.

This past December we went on holiday for two weeks and I did not want to put them in small cages again after they were used to running free so I built free standing walk in cages using old pallets (untreated).
20160430_150348.jpg
At this point I was running out of time and we left before I could treat the wood with any chemicals for waterproofing and mildew.

After we came back I noticed a brownish stain on some parts of his fur, especially around the thick hair of the neck and sides but since it looked like dirt stains I thought he was just digging again somewhere.

A few weeks later I saw it is still there so I wanted to brush him and at this stage I discovered it is some kind of excretion and that his hole body was full of this scab like bits and that the hair on those parts are completely loose.

To explain what it looks like. Halfway up the hair there is a crust that makes everything clump together in small clumps. This is either yellowish or brownish and causes the staining I mention earlier. Imagine when you get a carpet burn and that clearish liquid that comes out scabs over your hair..that is pretty much what it looks like (sorry about the image). On the skin itself it looks like the top layer of skin forms a dry scab and then just comes off, together with the hair. Underneath is healthy pink skin but with no hair. On the scab itself the skin looks flaky like covered in dandruff.

In some cases I could see that infection formed under the scab but it looks like this could have been due to moistness (it was the rainy season). I also have a suspicion this is where the discoloration comes from. That was treated and is cleared up but the scabbing continues.
At this point I assumed it was because he is so old and his immune system is just losing the fight against some allergy but this morning I found a similar small patch on one of the others so I am back to square one. The old one is now covered completely in scabs and tufts of clumpy hair on his body and face, everywhere except the underside (tummy and chest).

Now, in terms of finding the smoking gun, here are the facts.
It seems to have started after I moved them to the new cages. The cages have in the meantime been treated with a creosite based treatment on the outside, I left the inside raw wood.

I found some mildew under their blankets meaning there was some moisture that came in with the rain and the inside has been damp. I did check however and none of it has seeped up to the point where the rabbits would be wet but the wood has been damp for a while. I packed the floor and walls of each enclosure with a few layers of blanket because the winter is approaching here.

No change in food, snacks or environment.
Litter is still the same as always
No sign of rats or mice near their cages or food
Bought some slabs of grass to cover the ground in the cages when I built it.
Occasionally I cover the bottom of the cage with cut grass after mowing the lawn
The rabbits are housed individually, each have their own cage as they are all male and fight when they are caged together.
Each rabbit runs outside the cages for about 12 hours a day, most of the time they are only in there at night

Has anyone else experienced this? I am at wits end now that the other one is showing the same signs

Welcome to RU :wave:

I know the vet has found no evidence of mites on the skin sample that was biopsied, but has your rabbit been treated for mites anyway, just as a precaution? What you describe sounds similar to mites, in some respects.

I guess you aren't in the UK? Could it be a bite of any insect, or transference of some viral disease that we don't have here in the UK?

(Just as an aside, mown lawn clippings should never be given to rabbits as they ferment very quickly and can cause problems in their gut.)

Which country are you in? Different bugs can be native to different places.

I agree, even though no mites showed up, I would treat as a precaution if only to rule it out. It could be something like harvest mites or red mites (associated with chickens and can be transferred on wood) rather than the common fur mites.

As Jane says skin issues can also be fungal so that's something else to rule out.

Thank you everyone
We are in South Africa.

I agree that everything points to mites, everywhere that I read about the symptoms it looks like mites. We did give him a general mite treatment but I am taking him back tomorrow to get full course going.
Noted on the lawn clippings

Another thing I thought of was that since I built the cages pigeons are constantly flying in there to get to the food, it could be some mite from them as well.

Back