• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny wouldn't eat

Ooshaboo

Young Bun
Hi all, I'm after some advice.

I came home late last night from work to find my female hadn't eaten her nuggets, which is very unlike her as she's usually at your ankles while your getting it out. She was given them at 6 and i was home at 9. She wouldn't come out from her hidey hole when I called either. I found her behind the sofa, I gave her the bowl of nuggets which she sniffed but didn't eat, I got her fresh grass and dandelions out the garden and she still wouldn't eat. Phoned the out of hours vet who said she wasn't too concerned as she was going to the toilet, if she hadn't touched her food by morning too bring her in.
I've checked this morning and she's now in her cage (which is left open all the time) and everything has gone.
She was given fresh hay that morning and only some veg for breakfast and a little before I left at 11.
This is the second time this month we've come home too her hiding and not wanting to eat, she came around Easier last time (I think it was the herbs) she bounces right back (binking and causing havoc) as soon as she starts eating. We do have neighbours making noises next-door and my male is upstairs (separate until bonding when it's warmer outside) who usually thumpes for attention rather than if there's trouble.
We've had her since August and him since November, they are both neutered and vaccinated, they both know where the other lives as they are ninjas getting through their gates.
She does have sore hocks, which we manage but they seem to be ok, no bleeding or cracking and she's not nibbled at them recently.
What's my next step? Vets first thing even though she seems her happy self?

There will always be a reason why a rabbit will not eat, even though it is not always apparent. Tbh, although in this case your rabbit did start eating during the night, I am slightly surprised that your OOH vet wasn't concerned enough to see her. It's true that what comes out is as important as what goes in, but if nothing new is going in then there will be problems for the rabbit :)

I think I would want her examined by a vet today, even though she is now eating. It would be especially useful to have her teeth examined and also just a good, general examination by a vet. I would do this particularly as it's the second occasion in quite a short while that this has happened and also because I would be worried that it would happen again without me knowing the cause.

I hope that you can establish the cause for the episode. I find it's usually less worrying when I know what has caused the problem.

Sorry to hear your bunny hasn't been too well, it is quite worrying whenv you wonder what has caused it. You say you gave her a bowl of nuggets - was that a full bowl - as if it were this is far too many neggets to be giving her. It is recommended that a rabbit has about an eggcup full every day, maybe a little less. Overfeeding does seem to cause many gut problems, as you probably know rabbits digest their food twice.

It will be lovely when you get your 2 together as they should love company :love:

I think I found the culprit, bits of carpet had been dug up from under the sofa and then found a suspicious dropping. She's eaten her breakfast and I'm now Sat with her eating her timothy.
I've got an appointment in an hour anyway, just encase it's anything else.
I give her a small amount of nuggets the vet suggested when we first got her checked, it just sounded like a lot when I said bowl.
Thanks for the help guys, just feel so helpless when she just won't eat.
If i find out how I'll put pictures up of the two :)

Glad to hear bun bun is eating again and that you may have found the culprit.

It is concerning that the out of hours vet didn't consider it an emergency. Sadly this has happened to me several times and I have had to demand that they see bunny.

Thankfully our vet does allow us to have a small bottle of gut motility and metacam at home.

Update from vet visit.
She's all good, guts were a little slow so she had an injection to help and a fibre paste.
She's now hiding behind the sofa as she doesn't like vets. Fingers crossed now.
Thanks for the help, it's nice to have to bounce off when you feel so hopeless.

I'm pleased that she got on well at the vets and now has some medication. Yes, fingers crossed she will be OK now. Oh and try to stop her munching the carpet :lol:

Update from vet visit.
She's all good, guts were a little slow so she had an injection to help and a fibre paste.
She's now hiding behind the sofa as she doesn't like vets. Fingers crossed now.
Thanks for the help, it's nice to have to bounce off when you feel so hopeless.

They can be terrors - I have buns that hide behind the sofa :roll:

I am pleased all is looking better now :D

Back