• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I try bonding Dunkin?

Akire

Young Bun
I had a bonded pair who were both 7 years old; Dunkin and Amber. Tragically, Amber developed what we believe was a very aggressive cancer and had to be euthanized after my best efforts to save her. They had been bonded for 6 years. :cry: I showed Dunkin the body and he groomed it a bit then left it alone. That was his goodbye.

It's been about 2 weeks since Amber passed away. When Amber was alive and very ill Dunkin was avoiding her and depressed. The first few days after she died he actually seemed happy; maybe because she wasn't suffering anymore. He was very affectionate to me as well. Now he is very depressed again. I keep the door to his pen open all the time so he has access to a bunny proofed room, but he doesn't even want to come out any.

Dunkin isn't getting any exercise right now because he is so afraid being on his own. I worry because he is old and probably arthritic, so exercise is important. He's too afraid to explore the room (even though he has many times with Amber) and will tiptoe around a bit before going back in the cage. I try to show him it's okay, but without Amber he has zero confidence. I see now he got a lot of comfort from her.

He has a teddy bear in his cage that I had rubbed on Amber. He loves to groom it and snuggle next to it, which is so heartbreaking!

Thankfully, he is still eating well. My question is: Should I wait longer before seeing if he would bond to another rabbit or should I start now?

I had a bonded pair who were both 7 years old; Dunkin and Amber. Tragically, Amber developed what we believe was a very aggressive cancer and had to be euthanized after my best efforts to save her. They had been bonded for 6 years. :cry: I showed Dunkin the body and he groomed it a bit then left it alone. That was his goodbye.

It's been about 2 weeks since Amber passed away. When Amber was alive and very ill Dunkin was avoiding her and depressed. The first few days after she died he actually seemed happy; maybe because she wasn't suffering anymore. He was very affectionate to me as well. Now he is very depressed again. I keep the door to his pen open all the time so he has access to a bunny proofed room, but he doesn't even want to come out any.

Dunkin isn't getting any exercise right now because he is so afraid being on his own. I worry because he is old and probably arthritic, so exercise is important. He's too afraid to explore the room (even though he has many times with Amber) and will tiptoe around a bit before going back in the cage. I try to show him it's okay, but without Amber he has zero confidence. I see now he got a lot of comfort from her.

He has a teddy bear in his cage that I had rubbed on Amber. He loves to groom it and snuggle next to it, which is so heartbreaking!

Thankfully, he is still eating well. My question is: Should I wait longer before seeing if he would bond to another rabbit or should I start now?

If it were me (and it has been me) then I would bond asap. I find depressed, old and compromised bunnies need a friend to have the motivation to get out of bed in the morning.

I have bonded within a week of the demise of a long term partner. It made things so much better, and the bun was incredibly much happier :D

At 7, potentially, he has a good few years ahead of him :)

I lost Rosie Rabbit this Easter at 14 years old and have recently bonded her partner Teddy with great success particularly as our as yet unnamed bunny was a serial failure at bonding when when at the rescue! (It is hard to say how old Teddy is as he was a rescue stray, but I reckon at least 6 years).

I would say your rabbit is by no means to old, so don't let age put you off :)

At 7, potentially, he has a good few years ahead of him :)

I lost Rosie Rabbit this Easter at 14 years old and have recently bonded her partner Teddy with great success particularly as our as yet unnamed bunny was a serial failure at bonding when when at the rescue! (It is hard to say how old Teddy is as he was a rescue stray, but I reckon at least 6 years).

I would say your rabbit is by no means to old, so don't let age put you off :)

What a wonderful age, cara :D

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! It's greatly appreciated :)

Tonight I contacted the rabbit rescue I used to volunteer with and it just so happens to be where I adopted Amber from. I told the lady that runs the rescue the situation with Dunkin and that I would like to see how he responds to another rabbit. I just want to see for starters if he perks up and is receptive. She's going to call me tomorrow. I will keep you all updated!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! It's greatly appreciated :)

Tonight I contacted the rabbit rescue I used to volunteer with and it just so happens to be where I adopted Amber from. I told the lady that runs the rescue the situation with Dunkin and that I would like to see how he responds to another rabbit. I just want to see for starters if he perks up and is receptive. She's going to call me tomorrow. I will keep you all updated!

Excited for you :D

Update!
happy0175.gif

The lady at the rabbit rescue has a potential partner for Dunkin. She's small and older and likely never going to get a home because she's got a bit of an attitude apparently. I guess she likes to "box" at hands in her cage.
happy0040.gif
I was told she isn't aggressive and has never bitten. The boxing at hands could be from being caged for long periods of time. They get very protective of their little space, I've seen it before. The rabbit rescue isn't meant to be a long term environment, but sometimes it sadly turns out that way.

If she's an insecure bunny it could also be from the stress of being alone. In that case bonding her would be so great for her emotional well being. Not to mention Dunkin's. Anyway, I don't want to get ahead of myself, haha. Tomorrow Dunkin is going on a playdate just to see if she perks him up and how they feel about each other. I really have no idea what to expect! Thankfully I'm very experienced with bonding bunnies. Getting Dunkin and Amber together was no easy task since Amber was so feisty.

I'm still nervous though...
ashamed0006.gif

Back