• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny weeing anywhere

Pandora1

Warren Scout
My female bunny is 9 years old and she seems to urinate everywhere. She does use her litter tray, but seems to do it anywhere else as well. She smells of urine even if I bathe her. At the moment she is on Loxicom from the vets which I think helps but not much. I asked for Propanol as my previous rabbit had this and it helped, but he wont prescribe it, saying its unlicensed. I have also put down the puppy training pads which she uses. Any suggestions welcome.

Hi

Yes she is neutered, he gave her loxicom in case its arthritis. She is lively, eats lots of hay, forage, herbs, dried grasses. Her teeth have been recently checked.I suppose there is no magic drug, also her skin is ok, as the damp fur is behind her tail. I have trimmed it and do my best to keep it clean and dry.

Hi

Yes she is neutered, he gave her loxicom in case its arthritis. She is lively, eats lots of hay, forage, herbs, dried grasses. Her teeth have been recently checked.I suppose there is no magic drug, also her skin is ok, as the damp fur is behind her tail. I have trimmed it and do my best to keep it clean and dry.

Did the Vet check her wee for signs of infection ?

Is she maintaining her weight ?

Is she drinking more than usual ?

I think there's two issues here. Whether or not she needs Propanolol and the fact that your vet won't prescribe it. I haven't heard of Propanolol being used to treat urinary problems, although you say it helped another rabbit.

If I were you, I would discuss with your vet whether a higher dose of Loxicom would be worth a try. Failing that, if your vet thinks that Propanolol would help, but won't prescribe it, I would go to a different vet who is willing to let you have it.

I really don't know about beta blockers (Propranaolol) being prescribed for rabbits.

As JJ said, has her wee been checked?

Hi

No she is not drinking more than usual, her wee wasnt checked for infection but some months ago when I mentioned it she was given a course of baytril which didnt seem to make much difference. Her weight remains the same and she has a really good appetite.

Hi

No she is not drinking more than usual, her wee wasnt checked for infection but some months ago when I mentioned it she was given a course of baytril which didnt seem to make much difference. Her weight remains the same and she has a really good appetite.

Sorry to hear about your rabbit ..

Before my rabbit was prescribed Propalin syrup for incontinence, she had her urine tested for infection and signs of bladder sludge. I wonder why your rabbit was given a course of Baytril with no indication of infection?

Back